DIR, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
DIR, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Reporting to the executive director, the director of information systems and instructional technology for Duke Talent Identification Program (TIP) will work with multiple members of the leadership team and staff to develop and implement a comprehensive strategy for technology use and integration in operational processes and educational programs to serve gifted middle school and high school students. The director will have integral management responsibilities for information systems that under gird one of the largest existing databases of gifted students in the world and the operations that underpin a $31 million Duke TIP annual budget. The director will also oversee TIP's instructional technology strategies that support information dissemination to 450,000+ TalentSearch students and 15,000+ students who participate in remote program sites and distance learning venues.The director must be motivated to develop and lead TIP's technical vision and possess a strong record of success in leading efforts to use technology in innovative ways to solve complex business problems. The director will lead the team in integrating the cost-effective use of technology to improve the effectiveness of learning in TIP's online and face-to-face programming. Managing TIP's technology staff and instructional technology staff, managing relationships with the Duke Office of Information Technology, and managing various vendors are key parts of the job. This integral member of TIP's leadership team must also possess a thorough knowledge of hardware, software, and networking systems, with an emphasis on needs analysis and configuration design and management. If you are interested is this position, please submit an electronic application by September 29, 2017.
• Develop and implement a comprehensive strategy and road map for information technologies and instructional technologies.
• Oversee and be accountable for all TIP technology-based initiatives,collaborating across divisions and functional areas that support adoption and implementation of technology in all aspects of TIP business, including those that improve operations, foster learning and promote TIP's mission.
• Identify and evaluate competitive advantages of new technologies and technological trends and makes recommendations on technology solutions, which will support the mission of TIP.Strategy Implementation:
• Provide leadership in identifying, assessing and managing technology needs for TIP.
• Spearhead IT projects to improve operations and support greater capacity for the application,financial aid, enrollment, assessment, and evaluation processes related to participation in TIP.
• Use technology assets to improve the operational tasks for TIP staff,families, and teachers.
• Accountable for all technology system design and changes in system architecture.
• Conduct assessments, research, and piloting of new processes to improve TIP's technological resources.
• Direct, facilitate or oversee all tasks and elements needed to effect comprehensive integration of appropriate technology into multiple facets of operations, including Oracle and SAS database management, application development and administration, Unix system management and network operations.
• Ensure that all TIP IT applications adhere to Duke institutional security and standard and that proper disaster recovery plans are in place.
• Responsible for strategic planning and implementation of compliance plans and oversees the evaluation of the IT programs internal resources and/or external resources, as applicable, to ensure proper execution of the compliance program.
• Leads audits and audit programs of information/systems solutions.Participates in regulatory/client audits.
• Define and implement key performance indicators for technology and use this data to improve efficiency and adoption.
• Oversee the development and implementation of system-wide strategies that enable students and instructional teams to use technology as learning tools.
• Lead the dissemination of information on best practices for technology integration,sources of information on trends, research and applications related to technology use in TIP's face-to-face and online programs and resources.
• Direct change management activities for new technology innovations to provide successful adoption of new technologies across TIP's diverse community of users and key stakeholders. Management and Operations:
• Create, support, and manage cross-functional teams for needs assessment, decision-making,technology support, professional development, and other aspects of TIP's technology program.
• Supervise the IT and instructional technology teams, with a focus on helping TIP meet its strategic plan goals, while facilitating the implementation of its technology road map.
• Provide opportunities for skills development of all TIP staff in the utilization of technology. Build awareness of available resources and the role of technology in the instructional and business processes
• Oversee IT and instructional technology budgets.
• Advise TIP Executive Director on key strategic and operational matters as a member of the TIP executive leadership committee.
• Represent Duke TIP in meetings, conferences, and other affairs of an administrative nature.
• Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.Skills:
• Must be able to communicate professionally and confidently with a wide variety of constituents
• High level of creativity, initiative, and motivation; and team orientation; willingness to set an example for effective leadership
.• Demonstrated ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and issues on a daily basis.
•Ability to lead the implementation of IT systems integration.
• Strong interest in staying current with new technologies and utilizing this knowledge to make recommendations regarding technology deployment for Duke TIP.
• Demonstrated ability to lead a team of technical staff, to work with the Executive Management of an organization, and to manage multiple concurrent projects.
• Proficiency in project management tools, computer literacy, and database management.
• Experience with a variety of systems including Oracle, SAS, Sun Workstations, PCs,Apple products,and IBM mainframes and related networking environments is required.
• Understanding of LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), Drupal, WordPress,Vulnerability/Penetration Testing, GIT, Data ETL, SAS Macros, SAS Access to Oracle, Casper,Google Apps for Education,GoogleApps Manager (command line), Box, Qualtrics, COPPA, FERPA, CIS Controls experience preferred.
1970 DIR, INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Work requires a Bachelor's degree in mathematics, computer science, or a computer-related field, or equivalent course work in technical training.
Work requires five years of related experience.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.Duke aspires to create a community built on collaboration, innovation,creativity, and belonging. Our collective success depends on the robust exchange of ideas—an exchange that is best when the rich diversity of our perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences flourishes. To achieve this exchange, it is essential that all members of the community feel secure and welcome, that the contributions of all individuals are respected, and that all voices are heard. All members of our community have a responsibility to uphold these values.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.