Building Services Worker, #S03954
Building Service Worker
$15.37 - $20.83 per hour
Online applications must be received by Sunday, September 17, 2017
Montgomery College, Takoma Park Campus, has need for a full-time, Building Service Worker, #S03954, in the Facilities Department. The normal work schedule is below.
Takoma Park: Monday - Friday, 2:00 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
*Note: Hours worked between 10:00 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. are eligible for a $1.03 cents/hour shift differential.*
Job Summary: This position is responsible for cleaning and disinfecting classrooms, restrooms, labs, offices, administrative, and public areas. This position is also responsible for trash & recycling collection, monitoring and reordering supplies, moving items/service to others, and floor maintenance.
Duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Clean and dust white boards, vents, walls, windows sills, venetian blinds, and furniture.
- Empty trash and recycle bins, replace trash and recycle liners and transport to disposal area.
- Straighten classroom chairs and office furniture. Spot clean doors, light fixtures, elevators, stairs, tracks, steps, and handrails.
- Replace burnt out light bulbs.
- Clean and maintain a variety of hard and soft floor surfaces (Vinyl Composition Tile (VCT), Terrazzo and Carpet etc.) Sweep, mop, scrub, strip, wax, and buff floors.
- Vacuum, shampoo, and spot clean carpet. Remove gum from carpet and mats.
- Monitor assigned areas throughout the shift to maintain high level of cleanliness including corridors, restrooms, classrooms, and entrance ways.
- Clean and disinfect toilets, urinals, sinks, stalls, partitions, walls, mirrors, and vents.
- Clean and polish fixtures, doors, floor drain, and floors.
- Remove trash and transport to disposal area.
- Replenish supplies, toilet tissue, hand towels, soap, and sanitary bags.
- Power and foam wash restrooms weekly.
- Carry out Work Order Tasks as assigned.
- Navigate the College's computer maintenance management system via desktop computer and/or mobile device.
- Fill out and submit daily usage sheets, supply request forms, and submit time sheets.
- Assist in snow removal operations. Remove snow from entrance ways, ramps, and steps.
- Spread ice melt on entrance ways, ramps, and steps.
- Operate snow blowers, shovels, and salt spreaders.
- Assist with set-ups and break downs of tables, chairs, podiums, and moves.
- Safe use and handling of all equipment; including: low 450(RPM) and high speed 1500(RPM) machines, wet vacuum, wet and dry carpet cleaning equipment and perform minimum scheduled maintenance on equipment (i.e. filter check and replacement/cleaning). Operate vacuums and backpack vacuum-cleaners and attachments.
- Replace light bulbs and fluorescent light tubes as needed daily. Re-lamp classrooms, labs, hallways, and restrooms annually. Assist other building service workers with changing lights as needed.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED, and/or any combination of education, training and experience providing understanding of the field and the ability to perform the duties of the job.
- One (1) year cleaning experience with working knowledge of floor maintenance (stripping, waxing and buffing floors).
- Experience operating a variety of industrial cleaning and other types of equipment.
- Knowledge and application of procedures and techniques of building custodial/janitorial work, tools, equipment, and materials used, and necessary hazards/safety precautions and procedures.
- Knowledge of and familiarity with institutional cleaning practices and cleaning chemicals and their proper usage.
- Knowledge of basic computer skills including familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), the Internet, and College computer applications may be required.
- Excellent customer service and leadership skills and the ability to instruct, train, and work cooperatively with others.
- Ability to use the tools, equipment and materials of the trade.
- Ability to operate cleaning equipment and the ability to perform minor repairs.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, and follow written and verbal instructions.
- Valid driver's license and evidence of a good driving record is required.
- Eligible applicants must currently be authorized to work in the United States and not require employer visa sponsorship.
- Ability to operate two-way radio.
- Experience with Green Cleaning Products and Processes.
Application Process :
- Online applications must be received by Sun day, September 17, 2017. To apply, please visit http://www.montgomerycollege.edu/employment .
- The application process includes 10 steps.
- Step 10 is a Summary of your information. You can update and edit information up to the closing date for the receipt of applications for a specific job announcement.
- For consideration, you must:
- Include dates of employment in your application or attachment;
- Complete a set of pre-screening questions (Step 4); and
- E-sign your application. (Step 9)
Failure to complete the pre-screening questions or to e-sign your application will automatically result in your elimination from consideration for this position.
As a condition of employment, the following are required at the time of hire :
- Successful completion of a background check
- Participation in a retirement plan
- Submission of an official transcript of the degree required for the position
Note: This recruitment effort can take 6-12 weeks (from the deadline date) to fill.
Montgomery College is a tobacco-free and smoke-free workplace.
For disability- related accommodations, please call 240-567-5353 or send an email to:
firstname.lastname@example.org at least two weeks in advance.
Montgomery College is an academic institution committed to promoting
equal opportunity and fostering diversity among its student body, faculty, and staff.
Job Facilities, Maintenance & Security
Primary Location US-MD-Takoma Park/Silver Spring
Organization Facilities Administration
Job Posting Sep 6, 2017, 11:00:00 PM
Unposting Date Sep 17, 2017, 10:59:00 PM