Plant Utilities Assistant
Plant Utilities Assistant-1702513
Required Qualifications: Per Civil Service Standards and Specifications. Must have taken and passed the specific job related Civil Service Exam and be reachable on the appropriate Civil Service List. The Civil Service list for this position might provide insufficient acceptors, therefore, a temporary appointment may be made. Individuals who are scheduled to take the September 9, 2017 Plant Utilities Assistant exam, are encouraged to apply. Any temporary appointee will be required to take, pass and be reachable on the next Civil Service examination to be permanently appointed. Must have, keep and maintain the appropriate valid NYS Driver’s License; have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violations. (***Out-of-State Applicants, see "Special Notes”). Incumbent must be able access equipment in low places, access items most often accessed by ladder and move heavy objects or equipment. Must successfully pass a pulmonary function test to be certified to wear protective equipment (i.e. respirators). The test shall be provided by the department.
Description of Duties: The Plant Utilities Assistant assists the Plant Utilities Engineers in the operations, repairs, and maintenance of stationary equipment and systems including pumps, high pressure steam boilers, high temperature hot water boilers, and auxiliary heating system. These plants provide steam or hot water for heating building and for auxiliary use. In a single or multi-building facility, the Plant Utilities Assistant will assist in the operations, repair, and routine maintenance of mechanical and electrical equipment providing heat, ventilation, air-conditioning, and electrical distribution. The incumbent must follow Plant Safety Policies/Procedures and wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) at all times. Duties to include the following:
- Monitoring of equipment consoles. This includes reading, analyzing, and following up on all console readings, charts, and trouble calls. Adjustment of equipment controls to correct malfunction when indicated by observation or in response to a signal. Reads and records gas, steam and water levels.
- Fills out Incident and Quality Assurance Reports. Advises supervisor when repairs are required. Receives and distributes fuel supplies required for all program locations. Perform minor repairs such as replacing worn gaskets, changing belts, and tightening joints, and assisting the Plant Utilities Engineers I with the maintenance and overhaul of boilers and in the repair of stationary equipment.
- Assist in the repair, maintenance, and operations of the alarm and signal systems. Assists in the operations of energy management related to lighting, filtering systems, HVAC and boiler energy management systems, etc. Perform supervised plumbing, electrical, and refrigeration work. Determine if any water regulator valves need rebuilding or repair. Threads, solders, or glues and installs pipes, using proper types of piping and fittings. Repack pumps and valves.
- Perform preventive maintenance on heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning systems. As instructed, and under the guidance and supervision of qualified personnel, uses specific chemicals to treat water used in heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning systems. Cleans strainers and condenser coils. Maintains steam traps. Changes the filers and determines if the refrigeration system is low or refrigerant; if so, identifies type and amount of refrigeration system is low or refrigerant; if so, identifies type and amount refrigerant needed and prepares system for charge. Regenerates water softeners.
- Provide instruction to the Plant Utilities Helper's Maintenance Helper's on routine jobs and equipment inspection. Cleans the mechanical rooms as assigned, during shifts.
- Other duties or projects as assigned as appropriate to rank and departmental mission.
Special Notes: This is a full-time position, 40 hours per week, days and shifts varied. FLSA Nonexempt position, eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. Mandatory rehire roster candidates have preference.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Essential Position: This has been designated as an essential position based on the duties of the job and the functions performed. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work/remain at work even if classes are cancelled, and the campus is working on limited operations in an emergency.
Stony Brook University will be 100% tobacco-free starting January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
***Out-of-State Applicants: Please note as a condition of employment and in order for this position to be tendered, the successful incumbent will be required to provide evidence of a valid license and driving abstract from the state issuing the license within five business days of a conditional offer and must obtain a NYS driver's license within 30 days of acceptance of offer.
About Stony Brook: Stony Brook University, home to many highly ranked graduate research programs, is located 60 miles from New York City on Long Island's scenic North Shore. Our 1,100-acre campus is home to 24,000 undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral students and more than 13,500 faculty and staff.
SBU is a comprehensive research-intensive university and a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities (AAU), which includes 34 public universities among its 62 members. SBU consists of 12 schools and colleges and a teaching hospital that provides state-of-the-art healthcare in the Long Island region. SBU also manages and performs joint research with Brookhaven National Laboratory, the only Department of Energy Laboratory in the Northeast, and shares doctoral programs with Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, a world-renowned molecular biology institute. Home to the Emerson String Quartet, the Jackson Pollock-Krasner House in East Hampton, New York, Humanities Institute, and the Southampton Arts Program, and with endeavors that extend to the Turkana Basin Institute in Kenya and the Ranomafana National Park in Madagascar, SBU sustains an international reputation that cuts across the arts, humanities, social sciences, and natural sciences.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call the University Human Resource Services Department at (631) 632-6161 or the University Hospital Human Resources Department at (631) 444-4700. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (631) 632-6350. It can also be viewed online at the University Police website at http://www.stonybrook.edu/police.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Official Job Title: Plant Utilities Assistant
Job Field: Other
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: West Campus Powerplant-Stony Brook University
Schedule: Full-time Variable TBDWest Campus Powerplant-Stony Brook University
Posting Start Date: Sep 7, 2017
Posting End Date: Sep 21, 2017, 11:59:00 PM
Salary: As per civil service guidelines
Salary Grade: SG9