Posting Number C931P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/22401
Working Title Generalist
Position Number 12670
About the University
Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country's finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation's best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
Department Home Page
Job Type Staff
Summary of Job Duties
The Generalist is responsible for the work activities in one or more of the following skilled trades: HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning), Plumbing, Electrical, Carpentry, and Mechanical.
Regular, reliable, and non-disruptive attendance is an essential job duty, as is the ability to create and maintain collegial, harmonious working relationships with others.
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- Completion of required education or training along with the required license or certification in the following skilled trades: Journeyman Electrician according to ACA 17-28-304, Journeyman Plumber according to ACA 17-38-301, and HVAC Mechanics according to ACA 17-33-301
- Occupying the position of a carpenter or painter requires the formal education equivalent of a high school diploma
- At least five years of experience in the chosen field
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? No
If yes, please specify
- At least seven years of experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of the methods, practices, and safety precautions in one or more of the skilled trades
- Knowledge of the laws and regulations relating to one or more of the skilled trades
- Skill in the use and care of tools and machinery used in one or more of the skilled trades
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, manuals, schematics, building plans, and/or work drawings
Physical activities associated with this position
The following physical activities are associated with the position and will be performed with or without an accommodation. All individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned (i.e., custodial, general laborer, etc.) or to make general observations of facilities or structures (i.e., security guard, etc).
Physical Conditions The worker is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside., The worker is subject to extreme heat. Temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions, such as wind and humidity., The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level., The worker is subject to hazards. Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts or vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals, biological o
Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Overtime Eligible Yes
Is this position weather/event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. Yes
Work Location/Building Fayetteville Campus - Housing
Benefits Eligible Yes
Appointment Percent 100
Pay Grade Level C115
Does this Position require a Motor Vehicle Reports Check? Yes
Does this position require a background check? Yes
If yes, please specify
- Criminal background check
- Sex offender registry check
- MVR check
- Drug screening
Does this position require a substance abuse test? Yes
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
The University of Arkansas is committed to providing a safe campus community. We conduct background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal background check, a sex offender registry check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) background check, a Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date
Close Date 09/22/2017
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
Aaron England email@example.com
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Special Instructions Summary
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
City, St. Fayetteville, AR
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have the formal education of a high school diploma or equivalent?
- * Please indicate the number of years experience you have in general maintenance.
- Less than 5 years
- At least 5 years but less than 6 years
- At least 6 years but less than 7 years
- At least 7 years but less than 8 year
- 8 years experience or more
- * University Housing facilities staff is considered essential personnel. When the University of Arkansas is closed due to inclement weather, the person filling this position is required to report to work. Are you willing to work during inclement weather and event specific days?
- * Do you have a valid driver's license?
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- License (Trade, Drivers License, CDL, etc.)
- Letter(s) of Recommendation (2)
- List of three Professional References (name, title, email address and contact number)
- Proof of Veterans Status