Academic Outreach Specialist (Two Open Positions)
Posting Number NC865P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/22465
Working Title Academic Outreach Specialist (Two Open Positions)
Position Number 15024
Department Multicultural Center - Diversity
About the University
Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country's finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation's best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
The Center for Multicultural and Diversity Educationprovides academic, cultural and social programs intended topromote inclusiveness, foster achievement and assist in the development and advancement of a diverse student body. We are a campus community focused on welcoming all students while valuing, engaging, and empowering them to achieve their full potential.
A program of the Center for Multicultural and Diversity Education, College Access Initiative is an effort aimed at extending college readiness outreach across the state and increasing the number of diverse and underrepresented students at the University of Arkansas. CAI is designed to empower, educate, and equip students with information, resources, and necessary skills for college readiness and their future as college students.
Department Home Page multicultural.uark.edu
Job Type Staff
Summary of Job Duties
The Academic Outreach Specialist supports the college readiness, recruitment, and retention efforts of the College Access Initiative and the Center for Multicultural and Diversity Education. The Outreach Specialist will contribute to the design and facilitation of workshops for high school students and educators with respect to college planning, admissions, financial aid literacy, ACT, and opportunities at the University of Arkansas. This position also involves professional mentoring and academic coaching of current UA students regarding their academic progress and success. The Outreach Specialist will also contribute to program planning for academic summer programs for high school students and incoming freshmen. This position will require frequent overnight travel and some on-campus nights and weekends.
Regular, reliable, and non-disruptive attendance is an essential job duty, as is the ability to create and maintain collegial, harmonious working relationships with others.
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- Bachelor's degree and experience with college readiness outreach, student mentoring, academic workshop facilitation or presentations, or participation in or leadership of academic retention programming
- Significant academic coursework and related projects and internships may qualify as experience for recent college graduates
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? No
If yes, please specify
- Master's degree in education, communications, community development or a related field
- At least on year of experience in diversity-oriented college readiness outreach and/or academic retention programming
- Extensive academic presentation and program facilitation experience
- Diversity-oriented academic outreach experience and a demonstrated drive to improve the college access and completion of underrepresented students
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of educational equity issues and persistent challenges for first-generation, low-income, and underrepresented students relating to college access and completion
- Strong analytical, organizational, and time management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to teach college readiness skills
- Ability to build rapport with high school and college students, school and community partners, and campus colleagues
Physical activities associated with this position
The following physical activities are associated with the position and will be performed with or without an accommodation. All individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes.
Physical Conditions None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Work Schedule Monday - Friday 40 hours per week (schedule may vary based on department needs)
Overtime Eligible No
Is this position weather/event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. No
Work Location/Building Fayetteville Campus - Arkansas Union
Benefits Eligible Yes
Appointment Percent 100
Does this Position require a Motor Vehicle Reports Check? Yes
Does this position require a background check? Yes
If yes, please specify
- Criminal background check
- Sex offender registry check
- MVR (Motor Vehicle Registry) check
Does this position require a substance abuse test? No
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
The University of Arkansas is committed to providing a safe campus community. We conduct background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal background check, a sex offender registry check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) background check, a Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date
Close Date 09/27/2017
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Special Instructions Summary
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
City, St. Fayetteville, AR
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education?
- * Please describe your experience in any of the following areas: college readiness outreach, student mentoring, academic workshop facilitation or presentations, or participation in or leadership of academic retention programming.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe any significant academic coursework and related projects and internships that relate to this position.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Proof of Veterans Status