Student Success Navigator
Functional Title Student Success Navigator
Position Type Administration - Staff
The School of Health and Human Sciences (HHS) at the University of North Carolina at Greensboro seeks a Student Success Navigator in the Office of the Dean, to join a dynamic team of professionals dedicated to helping students identify their life and career goals as they embark on successful careers in the health and human sciences.
Professionals in the School of HHS Office of Advising and Personal Development help coach, mentor and advise students with a focus on personal, academic and professional success as they move toward graduation and beyond. This position is an entry-level, 12-month, EHRA non-faculty position that will report to the Senior Associate Dean.
This entry level Student Success Navigator position functions as a case manager and advocates for School of Health and Human Sciences students as they navigate through college and life. The majority of the position is devoted to hands-on work with undergraduate students through advising, mentoring, and coaching.
The Student Success Navigator will interact with various university offices and organizations to facilitate successful experiences among students in the departments and programs within the School. These duties may include but are not limited to the following:
- Demonstrate evidence-based best practices in fostering student success, including:
- Provide individual and/or small group coaching and advising for registration;
- Assist in recruitment activities and retention initiatives within the School;
*Serve as an advocate for students including, but not limited to, connecting them with resources to aid in their academic and professional success;
*Instruct, advise and mentor students both face-to-face and utilizing technology;
- Potential to teach courses designed to assist students to identify their purpose and explore their life and career goals.
- Candidates must have a minimum of a Master's degree from an accredited institution, preferably in a health and human sciences discipline, counseling, or a related field.
- Experience engaging with university students at the undergraduate level, either as a faculty or staff member.
We also will strongly consider candidates that have certificates and/or training in areas such as StrengthsQuest/Strengthsfinder, Life Coaching, and Life Design Catalyst/Purpose and Vision Navigator Certification.
The Student Success Navigator should have:
- at least three years of experience engaging with university students at the undergraduate level, either as a faculty or staff member;
- experience engaging in activities focused on retention, such as in academic advising, student academic coaching, student academic services, or student success;
- knowledge of undergraduate students, curriculum, university policies and procedures, and retention strategies;
- experience working with and being committed to a diverse community of learners is highly desirable;
- expertise or interest in the use of technology to instruct, advise and mentor students;
- classroom teaching experience with demonstrated success is preferred.
The Navigator should demonstrate:
- excellent communication and helping skills;
- leadership skills, collaborative abilities, and excellent interpersonal and organizational skills.
- use of technology to improve services to students;
We seek an enthusiastic, energetic and innovative individual who can function effectively within an academic culture.
Tenure Status N/A
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants are asked to provide the names, email addresses, and phone numbers of at least three (3) contacts, in the References section of the electronic application. These contacts will be solicited by the UNCG jobsearch system via email, and asked to provide a confidential Letter of Recommendation on behalf of the applicant. This will occur when the applicant has been selected for the interview process. This will be the only notification to applicants selected for the interview process, that the references provided will be contacted for a letter of recommendation/reference. If an applicant no longer wishes to be considered, after the application has been submitted, please electronically withdraw from consideration.
Interested applicants should submit a letter of introduction, resume or curriculum vitae, and names and contact information for 3 references.
Recruitment Range Competitive and commensurate with experience and qualifications
Org #-Department HHS Graduate-Undergraduate Programs - 13407
Job Open Date 09/07/2017
For Best Consideration Date 09/21/2017
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Time Limited? No
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu