Coordinator of Study Abroad and Student Travel (R-0568)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: The Coordinator of Study Abroad and Student Travel is a professional position within the International Student Services Office. The Coordinator will serve as the on-campus main point of contact and perform a variety of duties in support of students, faculty and staff at Fort Hays State University who are interested in study abroad, study away and participating in domestic travel as well as internationally through the University. The Coordinator will advise incoming and outgoing exchange students on pre-arrival procedures and logistics, process applications and serve as an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for J-1 students and scholars.
The Coordinator of Study Abroad and Student Travel will report to the Director of International Student Services.
- Bachelor’s degree; minimum four years of experience working fulltime in a study abroad, study away or student travel office
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- Knowledge of techniques and procedures used in study abroad and study away program development; e.g. budgeting, planning, managing, coordinating, administering, and providing record keeping
- Excellent communication skills with attention to detail
- Examples of experience working with students, faculty and administrators on program development and implementation
- Master’s degree; minimum of two years of experience working fulltime in a study abroad, study away or student travel office
- Experience with student tracking software management systems
- Demonstrated use of computer applications, database, and web-based technology
- Experience giving professional presentations
- Demonstrated experience working with students, faculty and administrators on program development, budgeting, planning, management, and administration of student travel programs
- Demonstrated knowledge of FERPA, Title IV, ADA, HIPPA, FERPA, CLERY related to student travel
- Experience with risk management protocol, responding to emergencies and crisis
- Previous international experience, studying, working, leading a study away program, or living abroad
- Fluency or significant experience in a second language
The successful candidate will provide leadership in the following areas:
- Plan, coordinate and administer all formal study abroad and study away programs such as ISEP, NSE and Fort Hays State University approved programs.
- Manage international and domestic programs, including coordinating student application and selection processes, increasing participation, responding to emergencies and crises, and building and maintaining relationships with program faculty, institutional partners and third-party providers
- Advise outbound students on all cultural and practical aspects of study abroad and student travel at Fort Hays State University including program selection, application and acceptance, financial aid and scholarships, billing and registration, cultural awareness and adaptation, travel arrangements (airlines, entry visa, travel insurance, foreign currencies…etc) and health and safety issues
- Understand current compliance practices and train faculty, staff and students in order to meet requirements in Title IV, ADA, HIPPA, FERPA, CLERY, etc.
- Provide problem-solving assistance and answers to questions (within the bounds of FERPA) to parents, faculty, and staff
- Provide assistance to faculty, staff, and students in interpreting exchange and travel policies and application process
- Develop and/or facilitate program-specific orientation sessions, materials and activities for outgoing students
- Maintain the accuracy and completeness of a database of information for all current, perspective and returning study abroad and domestic travel participants
- Promote study abroad programs by developing and implementing marketing and promotional activities and materials. This includes maintaining program information on the website, designing a master calendar for the various programs with timelines and activities, holding information sessions, organizing a study abroad fair and campus events, doing classroom visits, and maintaining print materials
- Conduct workshops for faculty who plan to lead study abroad, study away or student travel programs
- Collaborate with academic departments, faculty, staff and administration to develop and coordinate new study abroad programs including preparing program proposals, budgets and target enrollments, student recruitment and marketing, and upholding Fort Hays State University policies
- Maintain an active understanding of University activities and opportunities, such as dual degrees, research experiences and certificate programs
- Act as liaison between faculty and staff across campus and academic departments and colleges, and international partner institutions in identifying global opportunities and initiatives
- Work and adapt quickly to a high paced office environment
- Regularly assess the impact of study abroad, study away and student travel in an effort to implement changes and improve processes as appropriate
- Build new and maintain current partnerships with institutions and organizations internationally and nationally that will enable Fort Hays State University to increase study abroad and study away opportunities for faculty and students
- Represent study abroad and study away at campus events, conferences and community
- Serve as an Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) for J-1 students and scholars
- Serve on university committees as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit https://fhsu.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/CAREERS. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Applicant documents should be submitted in one PDF.
PRIORITY DEADLINE: Preference will be given to applications received by the priority deadline of September 15th, 2017. Screening of applications will begin after the priority deadline and continue until the position is filled.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Ms. Karen McCullough
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
ABOUT HAYS, KS:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.