Department Chairperson, School of Engineering
Job Title Department Chairperson, School of Engineering
Job ID 994545
Location Wolfson Campus
Full/Part Time Full-Time
ADMIN - Professional Exempt Contractual (PEC)
$82,649 - Base Salary
School of Engineering
School Director/Associate Dean
Open Until Filled
Exempt - Not Eligible for Overtime Compensation
This position is responsible for providing supervision and leadership for the Department of Engineering. This is a Professional Exempt Contractual (PEC) position for which an annual contract reflecting the base salary within the fiscal year (July 1st to June 30th) will be issued after ratification by Miami Dade College's District Board of Trustees.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Hires, supervises and evaluates personnel
- Establishes and evaluates departmental policies and procedures
- Provides professional development opportunities for all employees in the department
- Ensures the effective implementation of the faculty advancement process and adheres to the collective bargaining agreement
- Implements student-centered instructional programs in the classroom and labs
- Supervises the development/review of curricula consistent with current research
- Ensures departmental compliance with SACS accreditation guidelines
- Develops semester course schedules and faculty assignments
- Teaches at least one (1) course within the discipline per academic year
- Provides program information and ensures the availability of advisement services for students
- Facilitates the resolution of issues and problems that may arise between faculty, staff and students
- Prepares and maintains department budgets, labs and equipment
- Participates in the development and implementation of College policies, procedures and guidelines
- Serves on campus and college-wide committees; Supports the work of the Resource Development office by preparing grant proposals
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Masters degree in Engineering and five (5) years of relevant experience; or Masters degree with eighteen (18) graduate credits in applicable discipline and five (5) years of relevant experience
- All educational degrees must be from a regionally accredited institution
- Knowledge and understanding of College organization, goals and objectives, and policies and procedures
- Knowledge and understanding of a wide range of instructional systems development, training methods, techniques and formats
- Knowledge of the requirements of accreditation agencies
- Excellent organizational and communication skills (both oral and written).
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
- Skill in budget preparation and management; Skill in computer applications.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions; Ability to supervise and train assigned staff including organizing, prioritizing, and scheduling work assignments
- Ability to work a flexible schedule that may include evening and weekend assignments
- Ability to work in a multi-ethnic and multi-cultural environment