Studio Technician (Assistant in Humanities)
New College of Florida Studio Art Technician
Caples Fine Arts Complex- Sculpture and Isermann/Felsmann Gallery/Studios
TITLE: Studio Technician (Assistant in Humanities)
Full-Time , 10-month
1-year, renewable up to three years
New College of Florida seeks a full-time, 10-month studio technician to work in coordination with its Art program housed with the Division of Humanities. Position includes benefits and is renewable up to 3 years. The successful candidate will work in cooperation with the art faculty to support the program’s curricular and developmental needs. The Studio Technician will be responsible for the maintenance and repair of tools and equipment within the Sculpture and Isermann/Felsmann buildings including: printmaking classroom, painting and drawing classrooms, Isermann Gallery, and senior studios. The sculpture facilities include welding, woodworking, metal casting, cnc machinery and a tool room. Some support of digital facilities including a Mac Lab, laser cutter and 3-D printer expected.
About New College: Situated on the Gulf Coast of Florida and Sarasota Bay, New College is a nationally recognized, selective public honors college with a 10:1 student/faculty ratio. Students are intellectually independent and highly motivated. Undergraduate research has a central role in the curriculum, and a senior thesis/project is required of all students. Students receive narrative evaluations in lieu of grades. New College is committed to excellence in undergraduate teaching and research and encourages collaborative student-faculty scholarship. www.ncf.edu.
-3+ Years working with shop tools including band saw, table saw, welding equipment, laser cutter, sanders, routers, sewing machines, and power tools
-Expertise in woodworking, welding, machinery
- Experience working in an academic setting
-Background in studio art, working artist, or arts administration
-Ability to lift minimum of 50 lbs.
-Must be able to work independently
-Must have excellent oral and written skills
-Possess a valid FL driver’s license
-Proficient in Mac platform
-MFA, BFA or BA (concentration in a studio art or related field)
Application: Interested candidates should apply online at http://www.ncf.edu/employment, then email email@example.com and should provide a curriculum vitae, and a unofficial graduate transcript. In addition, provide 1) a statement about experience working with undergraduate students and 2) a statement regarding the candidate’s contributions or approaches to supporting an inclusive culture and learning environment. Include the names and contact information for three references. Deadline: We will begin reviewing files immediately, and continue until the position is filled. According to Florida law, applications and meetings regarding applications are open to the public upon request. Applicants who need reasonable accommodations in order to participate in the selection process must notify the chair of the search committee 48 hours in advance of a meeting. New College is an Equal Opportunity/Equal Access Institution.
Diversity Statement: New College is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty.
Candidates from underrepresented groups, women, and those whose knowledge or skills support an inclusive culture and learning environment are especially encouraged to apply.
Studio Functionality and Maintenance – 55%
- Routine maintenance, organization, and repair of equipment and tools
- Work with faculty, staff and college administrators towards studio upgrades
- Ensures proper functioning of facilities and cleanliness including safety, coordinating with Physical Plant and Director of Environmental Health and Safety
- Establish and maintain customer service relationships with all vendors and repair mechanics
- Perform day-to-day tasks required for maximum efficiency of studio complex, established by the departmental staff
- Safety supervision and enforcement of studio policies
- Supervise and assist with student safety training and provide technical demonstrations
- Help oversee student work force in the use of tools and equipment, and coordinate the scheduling of TAs and open-shop hours.
- Receive, stock, and organize supplies as needed
- Teach training tutorial for TAs covering specialized technical demonstrations and information on safe studio procedures
Gallery Administration and maintenance – 15%
- Installation/de-installation of exhibitions
- Support for exhibition receptions
Apply for Studio Technician (Assistant in Humanities)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly