Attorney & In-House Counsel
About Harrisburg University:
At Harrisburg University, students find a cutting-edge education focused on high-demand fields. HU educates career-minded individuals in the science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) fields. We give our students the tools to succeed and shape communities. In turn, the STEM-educated workforce we produce helps stimulate the economy.
Harrisburg University of Science and Technology is an independent educational institution offering innovative academic and research programs in science and technology in response to local and global needs. HU fosters a diverse community of learners, provides access and support to students looking to pursue a career in science and technology and supports business creation and economic development.
Harrisburg University is seeking an attorney to serve as In-House Counsel, providing legal advice and counsel to the University, covering a broad range of legal issues. This attorney will work with University leadership to provide legal analysis for institutional decisions and provide training to University departments and personnel as needed.
This position will report to the University President and is responsible for all legal matters of the University, including international and domestic employment and labor laws, contracts, compliance & Title IX. He or she will work with all areas of the University, mid-level and senior university officials as well as faculty/academic leaders. Prior experience representing academic institutions with educational and/or research missions is highly preferred.
Candidates must be able to work in a fast-paced environment where advice and counsel leads to legally appropriate solutions. This position requires interaction with a variety of university constituents and the successful candidate must be able to build relationships and inspire confidence.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- J.D. from an ABA-accredited law school with at least 3 years of experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Member of Pennsylvania Bar Association, or member in good standing of the State Bar of another state or District of Columbia. The successful candidate who is not a member of the Pennsylvania State Bar is required to become a member of the Pennsylvania Bar Association no later than one year after being hired.
- Experience working in a complex organization with multiple constituencies. The successful candidate will have demonstrated leadership skills and a capacity to be a trusted advisor to the University.
- Experience in international employment and mergers & acquisitions is preferred.
- Strong skills in legal research and legal writing, analytical skills including complex problem solving and be solutions oriented.
- Strong skills in providing legal support and analysis relative to International laws.
- Ability to provide accurate, timely, thorough and well-reasoned legal advice regarding the substantive areas of law.
- Ability to work well with clients and within a corporate culture, and to respect and reconcile multiple interests and/or dimensions relating to policy.
- He or she must have strong communication skills, both written and oral, and be able to respond effectively to competing priorities
- The successful candidate will possess outstanding interpersonal skills, including the ability to work effectively with others and to foster a climate of goodwill and cooperation in all areas of the University community- faculty, staff, students, parents, etc.
- The successful candidate should be self-motivated and possess personal and professional integrity, tact, discretion & diplomacy.
- The successful candidate will have a track record of demonstrating excellent administrative and organizational skills, including the ability to handle details at every level. He or she must be willing to embrace change with a positive outlook and transparency.
Harrisburg University: At a Glance:
- Only science and technology-focused comprehensive university between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
- Private, non-sectarian, nonprofit, urban, teaching university
- Located in the city of Harrisburg
- Incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania: December 12, 2001
- Chartered by Pennsylvania Department of Education: January 20, 2005
- Inaugural class arrived August 29, 2005
- Accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education, June 22, 2009
- 250 full- and part-time employees
- Signature 16-story, $73 million, state-of-the-art Academic Center
- The University's total student enrollment for undergraduate and graduate degree seeking students: 4,400 as of May 1, 2017.
- Undergraduate Student Body: 49% female, 53% minority
- 98% of our students demonstrate financial need
- Ranked in top 20 of US News & World Report’s ethnic diversity category for Best National Liberal Arts Colleges
- HU places 92% of its graduates in family-sustaining careers in their fields of study within six months of graduation.
- HU undergraduate student average debt upon graduating is $7,000 less than the national average student education debt.
- Full-time faculty with Ph.D. or Terminal Degree: 100%
- Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degrees awarded in Analytics, Biotechnology and Biosciences, Computer and Information Sciences, Interactive Media, Management & eBusiness, Geospatial Technologies, and Integrative Sciences
- Master of Science Degrees awarded in Analytics, Information Systems Engineering & Management, Learning Technologies, Computer Information Sciences, Project Management & Healthcare Informatics.
- PhD awarded in Data Analytics – first student cohort will begin in Fall 2017.
- Trimester system
A 30-member, independent, self-perpetuating Board of Trustees led by an Executive Committee governs Harrisburg University. The Board of Trustees delegates authority for day-to-day operations to senior management.
Notes of Distinction:
- First private nonprofit science and technology-focused institution chartered in the Commonwealth since Carnegie Mellon University
- Educational framework is competency-based, applied and experiential
- Offers Central Pennsylvania’s only master’s degrees in IT Project Management, or Learning Technologies
- The University is a Project Management Institute® registered education provider
- Home to the Center for Advanced Entertainment and Learning Technologies, The Consumer Insights Research Lab, The Government Technology Institute, The Geospatial Technology Center and The Food Science and Technology Center.
- Co-PI on NSF-funded ADVANCE grant focused on the recruitment, retention, and development of women academics in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) disciplines
Institutional Affiliations & Partnerships:
- American Council on Education (ACE)
- Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Pennsylvania (AICUP)
- Coalition of Urban and Metropolitan Universities (CUMU)
- National Science Foundation (NSF)
- Technology Council of Central Pennsylvania (TCCP)
- Consortium agreements with Penn State and St. Francis University
- Articulation agreements with Harrisburg Area Community College, Community College of Baltimore County & Lehigh Carbon Community College
Located in a dynamic downtown setting, Harrisburg University connects people to a diverse and exciting community. In 2010, Money Magazine ranked Harrisburg as one of the nation’s top “Up and Coming Cities.” In 2009, the Harrisburg area was rated 12th in the “Best Places to Live” by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance. Forbes Magazine ranked Harrisburg as 5th among America’s most livable cities in 2010. And the area was named #2 among America’s best places to raise a family. More than 600,000 residents call the Harrisburg region home, making it the 52nd largest statistical metropolitan area in the nation.
Harrisburg is also home to the Capitol of the Commonwealth of PA. Located in the heart of a thriving, bustling downtown, HU is connected to Strawberry Square, a downtown shopping, dining and office complex that serves as the student center. The Whitaker Center for Science and the Arts, which also neighbors HU, hosts an array of theatrical and concert events, in addition to displaying a rotation of mesmerizing exhibits throughout the year. Nearby Restaurant Row, and City Island, also provide countless dining, shopping, sporting and other entertainment options. We have teamed with a local developer to renovate nearby building that now serve as dormitory space. The scenic nature areas along the nearby Susquehanna River offer a relaxing escape from classes. Concerts, art festivals and shows also take place along the city’s river walk. Museums, fitness clubs, theatres and minor league baseball games are but a few of the entertainment options the HU community can take advantage of on any given day.
Interested candidates should forward a cover letter and resume/CV to the attention of:
Erin Hill, Executive Recruiter
326 Market Street
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Apply for Attorney & In-House Counsel
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly