Job Number: 76230
Editorial Assistant - Office of University Communications The mission of the Office of University Communications is to expand global understanding of Stanford's contributions as one of the world's leading research universities, where innovative, world-changing research and teaching occur daily. University Communications provides support and campus leadership in planning, coordination and implementing strategic communication programs that support Stanford University and its teaching, research and service missions. University Communications is the central office responsible for supporting executive leadership; university-wide issues and reputation management; crisis communications; oversight of digital content and top level web and social media platforms; media relations and news services; visual identity and brand management; internal communication to faculty and staff; parent and community communications programs; major publications; and the Stanford Video production studio. University Communications coordinates with communications professionals across the university on communications issues and projects, provides leadership to the Communications Working Group, and advises on communications policy. The Editorial Assistant provides high-level support for the team that makes up the Stanford News Service, which is part of University Communications. The Editorial Assistant reports to the Deputy Director for News and Managing Editor. CORE DUTIES: The Editorial Assistant performs a variety of complex editorial and administrative functions, including:
- Track and compile a selection of the daily news clips about Stanford and its scholars and maintain the distribution list;
- Track and compile a selection of higher education stories for weekly distribution to members of the Board of Trustees and maintain the distribution list;
- Maintain Stanford's official calendar of campus events;
- Help maintain a database of subject-specific experts among Stanford faculty;
- Serve as back-up in the editing, preparation and distribution of news releases;
- Assist with the production and copyediting of Stanford Report, as well as the compilation of readership analytics;
- Assist in maintaining a media database and using that database to create press release distribution lists;
- Assist in sorting and distributing email requests on a variety of topics;
- Assist with crisis communications during an emergency;
- Track readership of news stories on Stanford.edu and news.stanford.edu.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills;
- Some professional writing and editing experience with the ability to provide writing samples upon request;
- Strong organizational skills with an exceptional attention to detail;
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize a changing set of tasks in a busy work environment;
- Ability to work under deadlines and in a fast-paced office;
- A clear understanding of news media and other communications programs;
- Demonstrated ability to keep confidences and make sound judgment calls on a range of issues.
Location: Office of Public Affairs
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.