Director, Tax and Compliance
Reporting to the Controller, the Director, Tax and Compliance is responsible for the development and monitoring of University policies to ensure continued compliance with various federal and state tax regulations, preparation/review of tax and other government filings. The Director will also partner with departments throughout the University to implement best practices, provide oversight of the annual internal controls review process, be expected to remain current on all tax regulations and ensure the proper training of relevant University staff. This is a highly visible role, therefore the proven ability to cultivate and maintain relationships is essential.
CHARACTERISTIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Partners with departments across campus to understand and evaluate University operational activities that may have tax implications and recommend policies and procedures to ensure compliance.
- Coordinates and oversee all tax filings, including 990 and 990T, W-2’s, 1099’s, 5500’s, 1098’s and payroll quarterly and annual filings.
- Provides oversight and documentation of Post Issuance Tax Exempt Debt Review/Compliance, including review of UBIT, private use, arbitrage and preparation of Schedule K.
- Reviews contracts/grants for potential tax implications and/or private use.
- Reviews scholarships for potential tax implications and reporting requirements
- Provides oversight of independent contractor requirements and international treaty review.
- Provides oversight of tax implications for all employee benefits and review of employee taxes.
- Conducts tax review of development events.
- Works with financial affairs and other departments to ensure proper training.
- Works with Controller to oversee, coordinate and manage process for annual internal controls review.
- Provides oversight of Abandoned Property process and other government filings.
- Performs other financial reporting and compliance responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field preferred.
- CPA certification and/or JD preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ tax experience required.
- Strong technical tax and accounting skills required.
- Demonstrated success building relationships. Must be able to negotiate and partner with the campus community. Strong written and verbal communication skills are essential.
- Proficiency with financial systems required, as well as Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Experience with Banner or similar ERP platform preferred.
- Prior Higher Education or Non-Profit Experience preferred.
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
For consideration, please send, fax or e-mail a cover letter and resume, including salary history to:
Office of the Vice President for Financial Affairs
Hempstead, New York 11549-1280
Fax (516) 463-4118
Apply for Director, Tax and Compliance
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly