Manager, Public Relations & Communications
This position reports to VP, Public Relations and Corporate Communications. Under limited supervision, this position is responsible for proactively developing and executing strategic, creative public relations programs that enhance Strayer's reputation and drive positive earned media coverage, highlighting Strayer thought leaders, faculty, students, alumni and partners. This highly motivated individual will support the dynamic needs of Strayer Education Inc. (SEI) and its growing list of brands, including Strayer University, Jack Welch Management Institute, and the New York Code and + Design Academy. This individual will be responsible for developing and fostering strategic partnerships for unique content opportunities leveraging the full spectrum of traditional, digital and social media components and will be responsible for managing cross-functional teams and external agency relations.
- Build and execute strategic internal and external communications programs and corporate reputation-building strategies and tactics.
- Establish programs within the University system to identify student and alumni success stories and position faculty and other experts externally.
- Responsible for identifying, fostering and executing new strategic partnerships, thought leadership programs and events that will further Strayer Education's reputation with key stakeholders and audiences.
- Manage crisis and issue-based communications efforts as needed.
- Oversee the development and implementation of Strayer media support materials (e.g., press kits, backgrounders, press releases, fact sheets, bios) in areas as needed
- Serve as media relations contact
- Identify and prepare approved University spokespeople for media interviews
- Support marketing campaigns with PR amplifications geared towards current and prospective students, corporate clients and others.
- Develop and lead communications and PR strategy and plans, in close collaboration with marketing, business development and other functions as required.
- Coordinate messaging and tactics across all areas of the customer journey, working closely with marketing to amplify PR efforts.
- Develop key metrics and ensure a strong PR/ marketing return on investment (ROI); Prepare campaign-specific PR and media measurement and monitoring reports.
- Manage all aspects of campaign and PR budgets from planning to execution to reconciliation.
- Ideation and execution of creative content development and distribution strategies (e.g., marketing communications and PR campaigns, owned content, surveys, testimonials, videos, series, events), working closely with internal and external stakeholders.
- Development of story angles, pitch strategies; messages, interview briefs, and thought leadership pieces for spokespeople.
- Researching, list building, pitching, and maintaining ongoing relationships with broadcast, print, and online media outlets, and bloggers/social influencers (the latter working with the Social Media Specialist).
- Serving as primary PR and media contact at various special events, to include attending and managing media, VIP guests, award winners, keynote speakers, multimedia vendors at events throughout the year, including travel outside of the DC metro area.
- Other duties as assigned
- From a regionally accredited institution; Bachelor's degree in required in journalism, communications, public relations or marketing.
- 8-10 years of demonstrated success and experience in a public relations, corporate communications or public affairs environment.
- Corporate communications, public affairs and / or agency experience a plus.
- Ability to effectively influence / align peers and senior leaders across departments and leverage resources.
- Demonstrated experience developing and leading strategic PR and public affairs programs in B2C and B2B environments.
- Robust crisis communications and public affairs experience.
- Break down barriers and work cross-functionally at all levels to achieve common goals.
- Strong written and oral communication, project management and budgetary skills.
- Experience advising and supporting C- level executives.
- Demonstrated understanding of business strategy/planning/change management.
- Positive outlook and attitude-someone who naturally builds good rapport with team members.
- Outgoing self-starter who meets deadlines.
- Utility player who can step into multiple situations as needed.
- Must have solid understanding of social media space as it relates to public relations.
- Must have proven ability to problem solve while operating in a fast-paced environment and managing changing priorities.
- Able to manage multiple projects for multiple €internal-clients€ while maintaining attention to detail on all work-product.
- Demonstrable proficiency in Microsoft Office products
- Must be able to travel 25% of time
- Travel via plane, car, and public transportation is required to perform this job
- Must have the flexibility to work more than 40 hours per week when business needs warrant.
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs.
- Mobility within the office including movement from floor to floor
- Access information using a computer
- Effectively communicate, both up and down the management chain
- Effectively cope with stressful situations
- Strong mental acuity, creativity and curiosity.
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete our application process, please contact our Human Resources Department at Careers@strayer.edu.
Strayer University is an equal opportunity employer and employs qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other classification proscribed under applicable law.