Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The Writer/Editor supports learning by composing persuasive outreach materials that engage constituents, enhance the reputation of the University and strengthen the University’s financial support and sustainability by increasing engagement with key audiences.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Serves as the lead Writer/Editor for the University Communications (UC) department. Writes materials for the University President, including AU Magazine and capital projects materials; the Advancement Office including Annual Fund, donor recognition and major gifts materials; and the Admission department.
- Contributes to the development of other Aurora University materials, including print publications, digital materials and social media.
- Contributes to the development and execution of the university’s editorial calendar.
- With the Editorial Director, reviews and approves all UC materials; ensures consistent messaging throughout all university print materials.
- Conducts research and fact-checks information for UC articles and publications.
- Develops a good working relationship with senior staff.
- Attends university events to cover stories for UC publications, AU blog, etc.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
- Five or more years of experience in writing-intensive roles, preferably in higher education or other content-rich fields.
- Experience writing long-form feature stories, news digests and promotional copy.
- Experience with SEO and social media content production preferred.
- Excellent writing, proofreading and editing skills
- Excellent verbal communication skills and the ability to work with all types of individuals
- Research and accuracy skills; ability to proofread and fact-check quickly
- Able to meet deadlines and to work well under pressure
- Extensive knowledge of AP or related stylebook
- Willingness to learn and adapt to the university culture
- Ability to work independently
- Able to work occasional weekends and evenings
- Able to use a computer
- Able to move about campus and travel to other locations as needed
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission included. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
email@example.com - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to becoming a model university of the twenty-first century. Toward this effort we are determined to have a faculty, staff, and student body reflecting the cultural demographics of the Greater Chicago land Area.