Animal Care Assistant I
Animal Care Assistant I
Job Number: 76221
The Veterinary Service Center within the Department of Comparative Medicine is seeking an Animal Care Assistant to perform the following duties and responsibilities: sanitizing and/or sterilizing animal care/cage equipment according to standard operating procedures, U.S.D.A and NIH guidelines, and any other University and outside government requirements; sanitizing physical plant facilities according to standard operating procedures; placing bedding, food, and water bottles into clean animal cages; transporting animals, cages, supplies, and equipment within animal facilities; providing basic husbandry care of laboratory animals; maintaining records, i.e., census reports and sterilizing temperatures; maintaining the proper operation of sanitizing and sterilizing equipment; conducting general cleaning and housekeeping of cagewash and service areas, including washing walls, air vents, sinks, doors and doorframes, and feed containers; obtaining food, bedding, chemicals, and supplies from storage areas on a regular basis to maintain adequate daily inventory; observing for and recognizing signs of illness or death of animals under assigned care and completing the required forms for the Animal Health Care Staff; complying with governmental regulations and University policies regarding health and safety; observing and supporting good health and safety practices regarding the proper handling of animals and the use of chemicals and equipment.
- The successful candidate must have high personal standards of cleanliness, neatness, and organization.
- Work duties require manual dexterity, mechanical ability and a conscientious attitude and concern for animals.
- Must possess ability to keep records and follow detailed oral and written instructions and to communicate clearly and precisely in English.
- Must be capable of lifting and moving cages, feed, supplies, and equipment of at least 50 pounds. Ability to properly operate a variety of cleaning, sanitizing, sterilizing equipment (including cagewashers, autoclaves, hi-pressure washers, floor scrubbers, etc.).
- Must be capable of properly handling and restraining all species of common laboratory animals, have no abnormal fear of any common laboratory species and should be free of animal-related allergies.
- Must observe and support good health and safety practices regarding the use of chemicals and equipment.
- Previous animal handling experience in a research or animal lab setting and/or certification at the AALAS assistant technician level, or equivalent training preferred.
- Prefer valid California driver's license.
- The candidate selected for this position will complete an Occupational Health Surveillance Questionnaire and may be required to undergo a physical examination and immunizations.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.