Posting Number NC862P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/22442
Working Title Academic Technologist
Position Number 14629
Department Distance Education
About the University
Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country's finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation's best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
The School of Continuing Education and Academic Outreach-Global Campus is the collaborative leader that facilitates the efforts of the academic colleges, schools, and units at the University of Arkansas to develop and deliver faculty-driven, high quality, and cutting-edge online, distance, and workforce education programs and courses. The Global Campus' focus is on progressive and innovative learning solutions in addition to expanding access to educational and professional opportunities to all students (traditional, non-traditional, and working professionals).
Department Home Page globalcampus.uark.edu
Job Type Staff
Summary of Job Duties
Reporting directly to the Associate Director of Instructional Design and Support Services, the Academic Technologist serves as a key member of the Instructional Design and Support Services unit by providing expertise and support with regard to the design and development of effective learning environments. Duty areas include Instructional Design, Faculty Support and Training, Course Management, Research, and Other Duties as Assigned.
Regular, reliable, and non-disruptive attendance is an essential job duty, as is the ability to create and maintain collegial, harmonious working relationships with others.
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- Experience converting documents into PDF and HTML formats using Section 508 accessibility standards
- Experience providing technical and procedural support to a diverse and professional clientele with various experience levels
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? No
If yes, please specify
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Instructional Design, Information Technology, or Graphic Arts from an accredited institution of higher education
- Experience troubleshooting a Blackboard 9.1 course management system (including contents, tools, assessments, and grade center)
- Demonstrated experience using Adobe Creative Cloud Web Editor and third-party tools (such as Respondus and Kaltura, Echo 306 etc.) to create assessments
- Web design experience, including HTML5 and CSS3
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Working knowledge of distance learning technologies (such as lecture capturing and videoconferencing)
- Working knowledge of and the abilities to troubleshoot lecture-capturing tools (i.e., ECHO 360, Camtasia, etc.) and create multimedia files that comply with accessibility standards (including closed-captioning) are necessary
- Effective communication (oral), interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Ability to quickly learn new software and technology, while consistently producing high-quality work and meeting tight deadlines
- Ability to easily edit and troubleshoot based on HTML coding standards
Physical activities associated with this position
The following physical activities are associated with the position and will be performed with or without an accommodation. All individuals are encouraged to apply.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes.
Physical Conditions None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (hours may vary based on department needs)
Overtime Eligible No
Is this position weather/event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. No
Work Location/Building Global Campus - Downtown Fayetteville
Benefits Eligible Yes
Appointment Percent 100
Does this Position require a Motor Vehicle Reports Check? No
Does this position require a background check? Yes
If yes, please specify
• Criminal background check
• Sex offender registry check
Does this position require a substance abuse test? No
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
The University of Arkansas is committed to providing a safe campus community. We conduct background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal background check, a sex offender registry check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) background check, a Motor Vehicle Registry (MVR) check, and/or drug screening. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date
Close Date 10/02/2017
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
University of Arkansas Human Resources
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Special Instructions Summary
A short video project (not to exceed 10 minutes) is required as part of the pre-screening interview process. Selected candidates will be required to complete an activity to demonstrate the ability to troubleshoot issues in course materials using HTML coding standards and Section 508 accessibility standards.
Detailed instructions will be provided at the appropriate time.
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
City, St. Fayetteville, AR
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- List of three Professional References (name, title, email address and contact number)
- Unofficial/Official Transcript(s)
- Unofficial/Official Transcript(s) cont.
- Proof of Veterans Status