DIRECTOR OF STUDENT FINANCIAL SERVICES
DIRECTOR OF STUDENT FINANCIAL SERVICES
New Jersey City University
Jersey City, NJ
Located near Manhattan, New Jersey City University, an urban institution of distinction in the State of New Jersey enrolling over 8200 undergraduate and graduate students, invites applications for the position of Director of Student Financial Services. NJCU is seeking a strategic, accomplished individual that is versed in managing within the higher education student accounts receivable function, dedicated to working in a vibrant, mission-driven, and culturally diverse institution.
The Director of Student Financial Services
Reporting to the Interim Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer, the Director of Student Financial Services will function as the manager for student financial services, and will be responsible for designing and implementing student-focused policies and procedures relating to the bursar function. The Director of Student Financial Services will provide leadership and oversight of the day-to-day administration, management and operation of cashier functions, student billing, collections, maintaining accurate records of tuition, fees, and other cash receipts, and overseeing the disbursement of scholarship and loan funds on behalf of the University.
- Reporting to the Interim Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer, responsible for day to day operations of the Bursar’s Office.
- Provides vision and creative leadership to the university in all areas of student financial services.
- Ensures compliance with related University, state, and federal laws, regulations and guidelines.
- Develops, implements and maintains policies and procedures for student financial services and the operation of the bursar function.
- Directs bursar office activities, including maintaining of student data, billing, student loan disbursement and refund administration, collection of student loans and receivables, and cash handling.
- Plans and directs banking and finance activities relating to receipt, custody and safeguarding of all University funds controlled by the Bursar’s Office.
- Provides reports to analyze University cash flow, student and non-student receivables.
- Serves as liaison to other University departments and college business administrators on financial and other student services issues.
- Performs tasks to comply with federal regulatory procedures and reporting requirements related to preparation of IRS Form 1098T.
- Responsible for the management, analysis, review, and final placement of bad debt accounts with outside collections agencies and subsequent preparation of the allowance for doubtful accounts.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in finance, accounting, management, or a related field, with a master's degree preferred, and a minimum eight years of progressive and successful experience, including supervisory experience.
- Expertise across all bursar functional areas, including providing excellent customer service.
- Experience within a college or university system is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated success in managing in a complex, multi-tasking environment
- Possess excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient with Microsoft Excel and related analytics.
- Familiar with current national best practices in the higher education bursar function.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with colleagues and to represent the university with external parties in a professional and ethical manner.
- Ability to effectively manage bursar staff, to build a culture of teamwork and trust, and to motivate employees.
- Demonstrated track record of commitment to diversity and a customer service orientation.
- Integrity and strong commitment to fiduciary responsibility for the areas under management
- Demonstrated ability to collect and analyze data to derive conclusions and make recommendations.
Cut -Off Date for Filing Appplications: Wednesday, September 20, 2017