Associate Coach, Men's Basketball
Dominican University of California is seeking an individual for an Associate Coach position for a Division II program in the sport of Men’s Basketball. The Associate Coach will assist the Head Coach in all aspects of operating a successful program. The primary focus of this position will be placed on the Associate’s use of independent judgment and discretion in the identification and recruitment of prospective student-athletes, their awarding of athletics scholarships, their teaching and skill development of those student-athletes during their athletic and educational tenure at Dominican University of California, and in the extensive daily administrative operations of their respective sport program. In addition, the Associate Coach will be evaluated on the extent to which he/she provides each student-athlete a positive, meaningful, educational experience through athletics. The Associate Coach is also expected to execute other program related duties as assigned by the Head Men’s Basketball Coach.
- The Associate Coach will act as the lead recruiter for the Men’s Basketball programs and is responsible for managing a database of prospects and maintaining records of contacts, to remain in compliance with NCAA, Conference and University regulations. He/she must propose, manage and adhere to a recruiting budget for each of the events attended.
- The Associate Coach will assist with the recruiting of potential student-athletes by way of evaluation, in-person contact, phone conversation, letters, mailings, and the coordination of unofficial and official visits and the related compliance paperwork.
- The Associate Coach will coordinate contact responsibilities amongst basketball program coaches.
Student-Athlete Skill Instruction and Conditioning; Team and Game Preparation
- Team and Game Preparation: The Associate Coach is responsible for assisting the Head Coach in developing a comprehensive and strategic game plan for each scheduled contest throughout the season. This includes, but is not limited to, evaluating upcoming opponents by breaking down game tapes, preparing a scouting report for the student-athletes and advising the Head Coach on making adjustments to the game plan during contests.
- The Associate Coach will also attend practice on a regular basis and organize and conduct team instructional activities to include practices, scheduled contests and effective year-round conditioning.
- In the absence of the Head Coach, the Associate Coach will be responsible for coaching and supervising the Men’s Basketball team during scheduled practices, games and other events.
- The Associate Coach will be responsible for the organization and coordination of a wide variety of administrative tasks as assigned by the Head Coach, which include, but not limited to, team travel, contest scheduling, budget preparation and administration, facility usage, public relations, marketing, fundraising, community service and other daily operations for the program.
- The Associate Coach is required to work independently with various support services in the Department of Athletics and campus constituents (i.e., Financial Aid, Admissions, and Registrar) in carrying out these tasks.
Monitoring of Academic Progress of Student-Athletes
- The Associate Coach will assist in overseeing the academic success of the student-athlete and assist with academic problems. This includes, providing guidance/counseling and support (as necessary) as well as supervising and monitoring study halls (as assigned), checking class attendance, and organizing weekly and monthly (one-on-one) academic meetings with each student-athlete to track their progress by semester, major, and degree requirements.
NCAA Rules Compliance
1. The Associate Coach will be responsible for knowledge of, and adherence to, department, University, conference and NCAA rules and regulations pertaining recruiting, eligibility, and general operation of the Men’s Basketball program.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Coaching and/or playing experience at the college level in the sport of Men’s Basketball and an understanding of NCAA rules compliance is required. In lieu of college level coaching experience, a combination of coaching experience at the high school, college, professional or national team level and playing experience at the college, professional or national team level in the sport of Men’s Basketball will be considered
- Able to use MS Office programs
- Able to use NCAA computing systems
- Must be able to pass the NCAA Coaches Certification Test. Failure to comply with NCAA regulations can result in suspension w/out pay, termination, fines, institutional loss of scholarship and bans on post-season competition
- Sufficient dexterity to operate all office and vehicle equipment
- Must be willing and able to drive departmental vehicles (and have a clean driving record evidenced by a positive DMV pull)
- Bachelor's degree strongly preferred
- Prior experience with recruiting, skill instruction, practice/game plan development, and administrative responsibilities in the sport of Men’s Basketball
- Experience in a Division II Men’s Basketball program and excellent organization and communication skills
- Certification in cardiopulmonary resuscitation and first aid
Additional Position Information
- Priority will be given to applications submitted by September 15, 2017; however additional applications may be considered until the position is filled
- Must be willing to consent to a background check
Dominican University of California is an independent, international, learner-centered university, offering both undergraduate and graduate programs. Dominican has a 1:10 teacher-to-student ratio, an average class size of 16, with a small-town feeling in a park- like campus. We blend interdisciplinary core courses, real-world studies, and small classes with close and supportive academic advising and mentoring.
- Link to apply: https://dominican.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/careers
- A cover letter is required
- Compile resume/CV and cover letter in one pdf document and upload in the Resume/CV section
- For further questions on the application process, please contact email@example.com
Dominican University of California is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to excellence through diversity, and takes pride in its multicultural environment. We are committed in thought, word, and deed to recruiting and retaining a workforce that values the diversity of its student body. The University actively promotes an institutional culture that practices equity and inclusion. We strongly encourage applications from members of all under-represented groups in higher education.