The Office of Communications and Marketing (OCM) in the University of Denver's Daniels College of Business acts as the steward of the Daniels brand, positioning, messaging and communications strategy. Daniels is the largest academic unit within the University of Denver, with more than 3,000 graduate and undergraduate students, over 200 faculty and staff, and 35,000 alumni around the world. The office is responsible for the strategic marketing communications to both internal and external audiences including students, faculty, staff, media, other academic and staff units on and off campus and the community at large. In addition, the office coordinates and collaborates with other departments for strategic communications, positioning and messaging to alumni, donors and prospective students. OCM publishes one magazine, one research publication, and ten (10) e-newsletters annually; in addition, OCM manages the strategy and execution of social media channels, all media inquiries, video production, graphic design, internal communications, electronic communications, website, event communications, and branded print materials.
The Designer is an individual with excellent graphic design skills. The individual needs to be familiar with creating and maintaining brand identity and tailoring design elements for a brand. He or she also needs to be skilled at managing multiple projects at a time for multiple clients, gathering input while leading the creative direction of the projects.
Reporting to the Creative Manager, the Designer will be the primary designer for all collateral designed for the College. He or she will off-load projects, with approval of the Creative Manager, to an outside design firm. He or she will also make sure the outside vendors maintain the College brand. The individual might be called on to do design projects for the Dean from time to time as well.
This is a non-benefited, part-time position not to exceed 1,000 hours in a calendar year.
- Design collateral for the College.
- Design the high-level projects for Daniels, including the Dean's PowerPoint's and Enrollment Marketing Brochures.
- Oversee and/or tweak the design by vendors.
- Back-up to the Creative Manager and manage projects.
- Knowledgeable in a project management system and can work within it.
- Possibly manage a graduate assistant to do smaller in-house design projects as assigned.
- Interact well with clients, offering suggestions to keep things in brand.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Excellent graphic design skills.
- Highly skilled in use of the Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Illustrator, InDesign and Photoshop.
- Strong skill with project management systems, Workamajig preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Highly organized and uses time well.
- Comfortable using Advanced Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook skills.
- Strong project management and decision making skills.
- Commitment to a team approach combined with an ability to self-direct workload.
- Pro-active, energetic, enthusiastic, results-oriented and a problem-solver.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and political acumen skills.
- Personable and diplomatic in working with diverse constituency and staff members.
- Bachelor's degree in communications, graphic design, marketing or related discipline.
- 2-3 years of experience in marketing or design.
- 5 years of experience in marketing or design.
- Experience in a college or university marketing communications environment.
Part-time, hours to be determined by supervisor.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Tuesday, September 12, 2017.
Applicants must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online with a cover letter and resume will be accepted. Once within the job description online, scroll to the bottom of the page to begin application. If you have questions regarding this position please contact Aurora Joe at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio of work or a link to a website listed on the resume
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LBGTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.