Counselor - Admissions Office
SUBJECT: Counselor – Admissions Office
Announcement is hereby made for a 12-month, tenure-track Counselor position beginning immediately on the Ammerman Campus in Selden.
Suffolk County Community College is an open admissions institution committed to serving a diverse student population in a variety of degree and career programs.
This is a Unit III position covered under the Faculty Association of Suffolk County Community College collective bargaining agreement with the College.
The Admissions Counselor, under the supervision of the Director of Admissions, will be responsible for providing admissions counseling services as well as planning, and coordination in the Office of Admissions. The 35 hour work week will include working during the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. three days a week and 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. two days a week. Hours will be set by the Director of Admissions. Specific responsibilities include the following:
1. Disseminate information pertaining to the enrollment process, including college programs and services, enrollment procedures, admissions criteria, specific curriculum requirements, and the financial aid application process to prospective students, school counselors, and community agencies.
2. Assist the Director in developing and implementing admissions and recruitment strategies to attract prospective students.
3. Initiate, coordinate and execute recruitment activities at local high schools, college fairs and other venues as identified, during day, evening and weekend events.
4. Develop, coordinate and execute recruitment activities at community agencies and local businesses.
5. Represent the College at internal and external functions.
6. Actively participate and assist with coordinating and implementing Open Houses and other on-campus recruitment activities and admissions programs.
7. Coordinate and assist with follow-up activities including telephone calls, specialized mailings, e-mail, and information appointments.
8. Coordinate admissions/recruitment activities with other campus offices (e.g. Financial Aid, Counseling, Testing, faculty and Registrar) to ensure a consistent enrollment process.
9. Review applications to determine qualification for admission for all new students and for continuing students applying to restricted curricula, process accordingly and make referrals as needed.
10. Provide information to students concerning the College, its programs and services; provide assistance to students in completing the admissions application and the enrollment process.
11. Provide student development services, as well as career, academic, and admissions counseling to prospective and continuing students. Assist students to explore and evaluate appropriate avenues of academic growth and career decision-making.
12. Coordinate the follow-up and tracking of students’ progress throughout the admissions and enrollment process.
13. Develop and present programs and workshops to large audiences consisting of high schools, parents, and community constituents and College/campus groups.
14. Assist the Director in developing and presenting cross-training workshops for College/campus groups.
15. Provide academic advising and interpretation of placement test results.
16. Manage the collection, analysis, and reporting of admissions and enrollment management data.
17. Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Admissions or designated supervisor.
A Master’s degree in Counseling, Student Personnel in Higher Education, Student Development, Social Work, Applied Psychology, Special Education or equivalent (i.e., depending on specific responsibilities of the position). Experience in providing career, academic and admissions counseling is required. Significant experience in admissions and recruitment. Candidates must also possess effective verbal, written, and communication skills, and computer literacy. Candidates must be willing to travel across Long Island for various recruitment programs during days, evenings and weekends, as directed.
Click on the following link:
Select position #17-83 and read the description.
Click Apply Online to submit resume and cover letter.
The New York State Retirement and Social Security Law requires retirees of a public pension plan within the State or City of New York to disclose prior public employment and pension plan history for the purpose of establishing a retiree’s eligibility for employment.