Posting Number: S00898
Location: Middlebury Main Campus
Hiring Minimum: Hiring range between $57,025 and $71,290, commensurate with experience
Typical hours per two week pay period: 38.75
Brief Position Summary:
Analyze, design, code, document, and implement enterprise web applications with a specialized focus on system data integration and interoperability. Provides programmatic support for key enterprise online/web systems. This position is also responsible for ongoing maintenance and evaluation of these systems as a Software Engineer. Works collaboratively on appropriate teams with other programmers within Information Technology Services on projects that are too large and/or complex to be completed independently.
- Works cooperatively with others and accepts direction from supervisors.
- Work in partnership with functional leads in the various departments utilizing web applications where a particularly deep knowledge-base is expected in the areas comprising enterprise web applications, data collection, secure web forms, database development and access, application code, user interface code, and online communication tools.
- Works closely with other web application developers to deliver timely and cost-effective solutions. Must have strong communication and organization skills.
- Analyze existing applications and processes to identify weaknesses and develop opportunities for improvement.
- Participate in programming in-house applications, integrating and testing applications, diagnosing and resolving production problems.
- Analyze user and departmental requirements for web applications for the College’s web sites, including both internal and external uses.
- Participate in project planning with functional area representatives from the beginning of the project process. Advise functional area and supervisor on likely implementation scenarios.
- While not expected to prioritize departmental initiatives, once a project is approved and drafted, a Software Engineer is expected to manage medium and larger-scale initiatives independently, with limited supervision.
- Provide proactive, responsive, respectful service to our constituents.
- Engage in opportunities and meet expectations for ongoing employee education and development.
- Collaboration within the organization, across the college, and beyond.
- Maintain effective and open communication.
- Understanding the work of our customers.
- Well documented code that meets a set of uniform standards.
- Provide application code, processes, and workflows that ensure data is valid, consistent and secure.
- Develop and maintain an information system which is able to provide end-users with the critical information needed to support the operations of the College.
- Develop and maintain applications that are reliable, scalable, extensible, robust, secure
Maintain Key Relationships including, but not limited to:
- With the Manager of Web Technologies and Services.
- With other programmers in Web Technologies and Services
- With the leadership and staff of ITS
- With the functional leads and staff across the institution.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience plus 5-10 years of experience in computer programming and systems/database analysis. Prefer one to two years DB Administrator experience.
- Must have logical, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Must have exceptional interpersonal communication skills, ability to manage user expectations and the ability to communicate well with users with varying degrees of technical experience and knowledge.
- Must be willing and eager to try new technologies and new approaches to work.
- Must be able to work independently, exercise good judgment, and respond to rapidly changing demands.
- Strong troubleshooting ability. Must be able to efficiently support systems and processes that were developed by other team members or outside parties.
- Extensive knowledge of the database-backed web-application development stack.
- Up-to-date practical and theoretical knowledge of security issues.
- General and broad expertise and understanding in the field of information technology.
- Continuing education required as technology evolves.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and strong service orientation.
- The ability to work well with people from different academic and administrative disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience and knowledge.
- Working knowledge of network infrastructure components, web based application development tools, prototyping paradigms, security issues and production control.
- Must have a background in information systems analysis and design, systems integration and implementation, and object-oriented program design.
- Must have the ability to deliver quality systems that meet functional specifications on time and within budget.
- Experience in higher education desirable
- Experience with mobile technologies desirable
- Experience with IIS web server is desirable
- Experience with the following required:
- Knowledge of multi-site Content Management Systems (Drupal and Wordpress strongly preferred)
- Linux server operating systems
- Apache web server
- Web: HTTP, HTML/CSS, XML, SOAP, REST
- DB: General SQL knowledge with experience in MySQL. (MS SQL Server, Oracle desirable)
- Version control systems - GIT, Subversion
- Experience with application clustering and load balancing.
- Experience troubleshooting application performance issues.
- Experience with caching and content delivery networks.
Hire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screening:
Criminal Background Check
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
To apply, visit: https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/16159
Middlebury is committed to hiring a diverse staff and faculty as we work to foster innovation in our curriculum and to provide a rich and varied educational experience to our increasingly diverse student body. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.