Posting Number: S00898
Location: Middlebury Main Campus
Hiring Minimum: Hiring range between $57,025 and $71,290, commensurate with experience
Typical hours per two week pay period: 38.75
Brief Position Summary:
Middlebury is looking for energized developers to join our growing team. We are a small team that works collaboratively to build creative and elegant web-software solutions to support all areas of Middlebury's numerous campuses and programs, from our primary Drupal sites to a variety of services used in the curriculum such as WordPress, Moodle, and MediaWiki. While we focus on LAMP-stack systems, we welcome applications from developers with other backgrounds who bring a desire to engage, learn, and grow. Bring your familiarity of server-side & client-side programing, CSS, SQL databases, and Git version control, and we'll help you fill in the gaps. The successful applicant will have five to ten years' experience in computer programming and systems/database analysis. A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience is required.
In addition to excellent compensation; competitive health, dental, life, disability, retirement, and vision benefits; Middlebury offers a generous time away program, up to 26 days per year during the first two years of service, increasing as the term of service lengthens. Middlebury employees enjoy robust educational assistance programs as well as free or reduced rates on cultural events and sporting facilities (including the College's own golf course and ski area), and the result is a very high quality-of-life in a gorgeous setting. To learn more about our benefits, visit http://www.go.middlebury.edu/benefits.
The Software Engineer position is located in Middlebury, Vermont and reports to the Manager of Web Technologies and Services. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability
To view the full job description and to apply online, please visit:
- Works cooperatively with others and accepts direction from supervisors.
- Work in partnership with functional leads in the various departments utilizing web applications where a particularly deep knowledge-base is expected in the areas comprising enterprise web applications, data collection, secure web forms, database development and access, application code, user interface code, and online communication tools.
- Works closely with other web application developers to deliver timely and cost-effective solutions. Must have strong communication and organization skills.
- Analyze existing applications and processes to identify weaknesses and develop opportunities for improvement.
- Participate in programming in-house applications, integrating and testing applications, diagnosing and resolving production problems.
- Analyze user and departmental requirements for web applications for the College’s web sites, including both internal and external uses.
- Participate in project planning with functional area representatives from the beginning of the project process. Advise functional area and supervisor on likely implementation scenarios.
- While not expected to prioritize departmental initiatives, once a project is approved and drafted, a Software Engineer is expected to manage medium and larger-scale initiatives independently, with limited supervision.
- Provide proactive, responsive, respectful service to our constituents.
- Engage in opportunities and meet expectations for ongoing employee education and development.
- Collaboration within the organization, across the college, and beyond.
- Maintain effective and open communication.
- Understanding the work of our customers.
- Well documented code that meets a set of uniform standards.
- Provide application code, processes, and workflows that ensure data is valid, consistent and secure.
- Develop and maintain an information system which is able to provide end-users with the critical information needed to support the operations of the College.
- Develop and maintain applications that are reliable, scalable, extensible, robust, secure
Maintain Key Relationships including, but not limited to:
- With the Manager of Web Technologies and Services.
- With other programmers in Web Technologies and Services
- With the leadership and staff of ITS
- With the functional leads and staff across the institution.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience plus 5-10 years of experience in computer programming and systems/database analysis. Prefer one to two years DB Administrator experience.
- Must have logical, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Must have exceptional interpersonal communication skills, ability to manage user expectations and the ability to communicate well with users with varying degrees of technical experience and knowledge.
- Must be willing and eager to try new technologies and new approaches to work.
- Must be able to work independently, exercise good judgment, and respond to rapidly changing demands.
- Strong troubleshooting ability. Must be able to efficiently support systems and processes that were developed by other team members or outside parties.
- Extensive knowledge of the database-backed web-application development stack.
- Up-to-date practical and theoretical knowledge of security issues.
- General and broad expertise and understanding in the field of information technology.
- Continuing education required as technology evolves.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills and strong service orientation.
- The ability to work well with people from different academic and administrative disciplines with varying degrees of technical experience and knowledge.
- Working knowledge of network infrastructure components, web based application development tools, prototyping paradigms, security issues and production control.
- Must have a background in information systems analysis and design, systems integration and implementation, and object-oriented program design.
- Must have the ability to deliver quality systems that meet functional specifications on time and within budget.
- Experience in higher education desirable
- Experience with mobile technologies desirable
- Experience with IIS web server is desirable
- Experience with the following required:
- Knowledge of multi-site Content Management Systems (Drupal and Wordpress strongly preferred)
- Linux server operating systems
- Apache web server
- Web: HTTP, HTML/CSS, XML, SOAP, REST
- DB: General SQL knowledge with experience in MySQL. (MS SQL Server, Oracle desirable)
- Version control systems - GIT, Subversion
- Experience with application clustering and load balancing.
- Experience troubleshooting application performance issues.
- Experience with caching and content delivery networks.
Hire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screening:
Criminal Background Check
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Offer of employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
To apply, visit: https://middlebury.peopleadmin.com/postings/15456
Middlebury is committed to hiring a diverse staff and faculty as we work to foster innovation in our curriculum and to provide a rich and varied educational experience to our increasingly diverse student body. EOE/Minorities/Females/Vet/Disability.