Graduate Admissions Coordinator - Mechanical Science and Engineering (A1700501)
Graduate Admissions Coordinator
Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering
College of Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering (MechSE) at the College of Engineering seeks applicants for the position of Graduate Admissions Coordinator. Reporting to the Associate Director of Student Recruitment and Admissions, the Graduate Admissions Coordinator is responsible for the day-to-day administration and operation of the Graduate Admissions Program of the Department of Mechanical Science and Engineering. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
- Together with the Associate Head for Graduate Programs, the Associate Director of Student Recruitment and Admissions, and the Admissions and Records Supervisor, develop and implement strategic means for the Graduate Program, and for marketing and promoting the program to potential students.
- Develop, implement and maintain programs to effectively recruit prospective students to the department's Master of Engineering (MEng) program to meet the program's aggressive goals and objectives for growth in enrollment. This includes identifying potential prospective student markets, developing communications programs and presentations to effectively reach those markets, and establishing networking relationships with institutions of higher education and corporations, which effectively recruit students into the program.
- Develop and maintain communications for the graduate programs including but not limited to written publications, brochures, web pages, social networking and other media. Research and make recommendations regarding new media and markets as necessary to effectively market the department's graduate programs to prospective students.
- Develop and implement strategies to market the programs to prospective students through initiatives including participation in MechSE undergraduate programs, campus activities, engagement of industry sponsors, and attendance of national conferences, which includes some travel including overnight trips and working evenings and weekends.
- Responsible for various recruiting activity communications (telephone, written, electronic and regular correspondence) between the Department, Graduate College, and prospective applicants to the Department's graduate programs.
- Responsible for planning and organizing recruiting promotions, including an annual on-campus recruiting event for prospective students and for implementing new recruiting programs as necessary. This includes coordinating itineraries for prospective students.
- Receive, review and process applications to the graduate programs. Follow up with applicants on missing items, receipt of required documentation and decisions, once made.
- Maintain computer database of applicants with pertinent information and application status.
- Refer completed files in a timely manner to Graduate Admissions Subcommittee for consideration.
- Serve as liaison between faculty and prospective student applicants.
- Prepare correspondence for entering graduate students in regards to fellowships and research or teaching assignments. Prepare the necessary fellowship paperwork for submission to the Graduate College.
- Prepare various reports on the graduate program, applications, and admissions for the Department, College, and Graduate College. Prepare ad hoc reports as needed or requested.
- Maintain graduate program's website and assist with various publications providing information for prospective students.
- Organize, schedule and attend meetings pertaining to the graduate programs and other initiatives as requested.
- Prepare each semester's professional development calendar and distribute to faculty, staff, current and newly entering graduate students.
- Together with Graduate Programs Staff, prepare the Graduate Programs Handbook outlining policies, procedures, degree requirements and campus information.
- May require travel including overnight trips; may require working evenings and weekends.
- Assume additional appropriate related graduate programs duties to further the mission of the department.
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, business, communications or a related field.
- A minimum of two years of experience of professional work experience.
- Excellent command of grammar, spelling, punctuation, and writing skills.
- Excellent customer service, follow up, and technical computer skills.
- Ability to organize and manage diverse activities.
- Work experience in higher education, preferably in an academic department.
- Experience and/or familiarity with engineering studies and curriculum.
- Experience with graduate student recruitment, admissions, and/or advising.
- Familiarity with graduate admissions policies and procedures.
- Comprehensive understanding of University, College, and Department organization, objectives, and goals.
The Graduate Admissions Coordinator position is a 100% full-time equivalent (FTE), benefits-eligible academic professional position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by September 19, 2017. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Emily Lange at firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer.
Minorities, women, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu?
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Graduate Admissions Coordinator - Mechanical Science and Engineering (A1700501)
Open Date: 09/05/2017
Close Date: 09/19/2017
Organization Name: Mechanical Sci and Engineering