AS-18-10 Assistant/Associate Professor, Journalism and Creative Writing
Assistant/Associate Professor, Journalism and Creative Writing
School of Arts &Sciences
Departments: English and Communication Arts.
Expected Start Date: Fall 2018 or later.
Deadline for Applying: Open until the position is filled.
The Department of English and the Department of Communication Arts in the School of Arts and Sciences at the Lebanese American University (LAU) invite applicants to a tenure track position at the Assistant or Associate Professor rank. The departments are interested in applicants specializing in creative writing for journalism, art, culture and related fields who can contribute to multiple departmental and school initiatives. The faculty member will be teaching half-load in Communication Arts and the other half in English.
- Teach courses in multimedia storytelling, feature writing and reporting in journalism and general creative writing skills.
- Teach adaptation of various story texts for multiple platforms.
- Conduct and publish research and/or creative productions in the areas of journalism. studies and creative writing.
- Oversee senior projects, advise and mentor students.
- Engage in service to the two departments, the university and the profession/community.
- Ph.D., or terminal degree in creative writing, journalism, or related fields.
- Evidence of scholarship and research.
- Evidence of professional journalistic and creative writing.
- Evidence of successful university teaching experience.
- Demonstration of effective teaching methods and delivery.
- Strong knowledge and familiarity with new media and the latest digital publishing platforms.
The Department of English offers a BA degree in English, where students have the opportunity to focus either on literature or on language or on writing, or any combination of these three areas. The Department also offers a Minor in English. The Department is dedicated to excellence in teaching and research and is committed to student-centeredness.
The Department of Communication Arts offers a broad-based liberal arts curriculum that balances theory, research, professional practice and critical inquiry, and prepares students to become innovative, professional, and ethical communicators ready to thrive in a rapidly evolving field and industry. The department offers programs in multimedia journalism, television and film, communication, and the performing arts. It aims to develop civically engaged and informed citizens capable of reflecting on local and global issues. It strives to graduate ethical scholars, artists, and professionals in the various communication fields and specialties. Information about the department can be found at http://comm.lau.edu.lb.
The Lebanese American University is an Equal Opportunity Employer operating in Lebanon under a charter from the Regents of the State University of New York. Information about the University can be found at http://www.lau.edu.lb.
Prospective candidates should apply electronically by sending a letter of interest including a statement of teaching and research interests, an updated CV, and unofficial transcripts by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The CV should include the names, emails and phone numbers of three references. The university reserves the right to contact additional references with notice given to the candidates at an appropriate time in the process.
Candidates must refer to position no. AS-18-10 in the subject line of the email.