JOB NO.: 91761-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: G SERV/HUMAN RES/EMPLOYEE SERV
Categories: Human Resources, Payroll
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 91761-AS
Working Title: Benefits Specialist
Official Title: BENEFITS SPEC(R18DN) or ASSOC BENEFITS SPEC(R18FN)
Hiring Department: A022040-GENERAL SERVICES/OFFICE OF HUMAN RESOURCES/EMPLOYEE SERV
Anticipated Begin Date: OCTOBER 23, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $42,167 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
A degree is not required for this position.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Professional experience providing accurate benefits information and counseling.
Knowledge and Skills
1. Extensive knowledge of all benefit plans; health, life, flexible spending and health savings accounts, dental, vision, disability and retirement
2. Working knowledge of PeopleSoft
3. Strong analytical and problem solving skills
4. Ability to work in an environment with frequent interruptions and a high volume of activity
5. Previous data entry experience in a complex HR, benefits, payroll or finance Enterprise Resource Planning application
6. Reconciliation and reporting experience
7. Knowledge of user testing methods and techniques
8. Demonstrated good interpersonal skills
9. Strong client and web-based applications experience, e.g. Excel, word processing, calendaring
10. Highly organized and able to transfer quickly between tasks
11. Ability to develop clear, concise and accurate responses in communications to internal and external customers
12. Knowledge of federal (Section 125, 132, Affordable Care Act) and state regulations relating to employee benefits
13. Effective presentation and communication skills
UW-Madison Benefits Services primary role is to provide accurate, timely and comprehensive benefit information and counseling to a diverse population of University of Wisconsin-Madison employees and appointees. The customer base includes 20,000 employees covered by the Wisconsin Retirement System, 7000 graduate assistants and 350 department payroll and benefit coordinators. Customers include faculty, academic staff, classified civil service and graduate assistants. Services are provided to staff on all shifts; 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. Within this culturally diverse customer base are foreign nationals with limited benefit experience, those with English as a second language, and those with little or no computer skills or access. In addition, employees are based throughout the world.
There are multiple benefit packages with different plan eligibility and enrollment rules. Benefit plans include health (HMO, High Deductible Health Plan and fee for service plans), dental, vision, short and long term disability, five life insurance plans, Flexible Spending and Health Savings Accounts, retirement (Wisconsin Retirement System), tax sheltered annuities and Wisconsin Deferred Compensation plans. Leave types encompass vacation, sick leave, personal holidays and legal holidays.
Instructions to applicants:
To begin the application process, click the "Apply Now" button.
To be considered for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter describing your qualifications to perform the job duties. In these materials, be sure to include your experience developing and delivering benefits resources, computer skills (including Microsoft Office Suite and ability to adapt to new programs), customer service skills, and benefits administration experience.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Sep 5 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: Oct 3 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time