Associate Dean for Finance and Administration
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
College of Nursing
Associate Dean for Finance and Administration
Position #691384 - Requisition 10968
* Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers *
The College of Nursing has an opening for full-time University Staff (unclassified) Associate Dean for Finance and Administration position.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
Nature of Work:
This leadership position is responsible for the strategic and practical organization and development of the comprehensive administrative structure of the College of Nursing. The Associate Dean for Finance and Administration acts as the senior advisor to the Dean on all financial and administrative matters, and represents the Dean on such matters to the campus and University. The Associate Dean is responsible for the effective conduct of the business affairs of the College and effectually plans and allocates resources to achieve the education, research and clinical objectives and improve organizational effectiveness. This position plans, directs and assesses the business operations of the College including resource formulation and management, human resources, finance and procurement, contract and grant administration, information technology, and facilities and space planning.
The Associate Dean must relate well to the diversity of faculty, staff, and students, and to the unique needs of these constituencies and of the College. The Associate Dean must be committed to shared governance, team work, and creative leadership. This position's leadership is characterized by sound judgment, flexibility, creativity, resourcefulness, and excellent communication skills.
Business Administration and Finance.
Work is performed under the general direction and authority of the Dean of the College of Nursing.
Position provides direct supervision to Budget and Finance Assistant Director, Human Resources Director, IT Manager, and other professional positions as required.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Advise the Dean on all financial and administrative matters and as delegated, represent the College on strategic matters related to the business and financial operations.
- Provide leadership for the development of organization and staffing patterns for the successful accomplishment of functions and responsibilities.
- Serve as a liaison between the College/Dean and the campus, University and other external constituencies regarding the financial, personnel, and infrastructure operations of the College.
- Establish the objectives, scope of service, structure, staffing, work methods, and performance benchmarks for the Finance and Administration units, and monitor for effectiveness and operational efficiency.
- Provide leadership and creative approaches to other members of the senior administrative team for the effective utilization of resources to accomplish strategic objectives.
- Lead the process for development and monitoring of College budgets, consistent with organizational mission, goals and applicable policies.
- Oversee the College's facilities and space planning and operations.
- Develop, recommend, and implement organization policies relevant to financial management and operations.
- Strategically manage and evaluate the College's resources, ensuring that funds are stewarded appropriately, allocated and deployed to allow for maximum benefit; with an entrepreneurial focus, develop and explore new and/or unidentified avenues for potential sources of revenue.
- Employ a proactive, future-based approach to planning, ensuring the College is strategically positioned to meet opportunities and challenges with emerging technologies, a changing workforce, and a rapidly evolving economic environment.
- Oversee the development and implementation of the College's information technology policies and procedures, and ensures compliance with campus and University policies; delegates to ensure the IT infrastructure has a high level of quality and achieves internal customer satisfaction.
- Serve as chief personnel officer for the College with responsibility for overseeing all employment processes; hiring, staff training and development, performance reviews, as well as promoting a healthy work environment and enriched work experiences that build the College as an employer of choice
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience.
This position is not eligible for overtime compensation
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Master's degree in business administration, public administration or related field is required.
- Substitution: A combination of education and related complex budget & finance experience may be substituted for a master's degree on a year for year basis.
- Minimum of five (5) years of complex budget, financial and administration experience in an institution of higher education.
- Three (3) years of prior supervisory experience of professional level positions
- Administrative experience within an academic health center.
- Administrative and financial experience within the University of Colorado system.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to develop, analyze and implement effective and innovative budget, financial and administrative strategies.
- Evidence of being innovative and creative, particularly related to solving complex business and financial problems that lead to cost-savings, revenue generation, or other types of innovation.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with other executives and leaders to achieve organizational goals.
- Track record of engaging and contributing to larger organization issues beyond the confines of finance and administration.
- Ability to function independently and at a high level under complex situations.
- Ability to conceptualize complex administrative and fiscal problems, and to develop and implement effective action plans.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of the issues facing the nursing profession, the education of nurses, nursing workforce projections, and recruitment and retention of nursing faculty.
- Ability to set a tone of leadership that is collaborative and transparent, and which effectively utilizes data-driven decision making.
- Ability to effectively supervise, lead and direct a variety of professional, technical and support personnel.
- Outstanding communication skills are required. Ability to effectively develop, organize and present written and oral reports to internal and external constituents, including faculty and departmental administrators, staff, affiliates, campus and university administration, and regional and national professional organizations.
- Strong organizational skills, attention to detail, analytical capability and professional judgment are required.
- Ability to manage large amounts of complex data, and to coordinate a variety of information systems.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Application Deadline: Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. Applications will be accepted until finalists are identified, but preference will be given to complete applications received by 09/11/2017. Those who do not apply by 9/11/2017 may or may not be considered.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees. The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please visit: http://www.cu.edu/cu-careers and attach: 1. A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications 2. A current CV/resume 3. List of three to five professional references (we will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references)
Job Category: Executive
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20468 - College of Nursing
Posting Date: Sep 1, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Tracy R. Gray, Director of Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00691384