Community Organizer (Kansas City, KS)
Communities Creating Opportunity will designate a staff member to serve as a Community Liaison which will be financed directly through Kansas Health Foundations Communities Engagement Initiative. The selected Community Liaison will have experience and expertise in building partnerships and implementing cross-sector programs within the community. The Community Liaison will be responsible for identifying the specific community anchor institutions to engage, facilitate the necessary actions to implement, evaluate, promote and report grant-funded activities related to the community action plan. Additionally, the Community Liaison will have expertise in community organizing, particularly around issues related to healthy eating, community design to increase physical activity, and improved student outcomes. Each Community Liaison will also serve on a state council comprised of five community liaisons and one community resident.
- Work with Center for Global Policy Solutions (CGPS) State Director to successfully implement program goals
- Create and manage project timelines while ensuring timely reporting to the CGPS State Director
- Attend bi-monthly CEI state Council meetings
- Schedule weekly phone calls with CGPS State Director
- Identify media strategies to promote the CEI project and Community Charrette's Visioning event (s)
- Work with CGPS State Director to complete evaluation processes at Community Charrette's Visioning events, coalition building, etc.
- Build advocacy efforts to engage community residents around identified issues related to community design, food access, and improved student outcomes
- Serve as a media contact for the community CEI project and provide media outlets with sample press releases, and op-eds as necessary
- Identify opportunities to sustain the CEI work beyond the scope of the project
- Build partnerships with local organizations to drive the momentum of the project including businesses, faith organizations, community foundations, health care professionals etc.
- Identify and participate in professional trainings that enhance ability to mobilize the community around identified health issues
- Write and provide success stories of the community CEI project
- Identify local, state, and federal policymakers and provide them with information on the community engagement project
Other Organizational Requirements:
Candidate must be self-motivated, results oriented, and highly disciplined individual with strong interpersonal and group facilitation skills, keen political analysis and tactical thinking, good written and oral communication skills, and strong time management practices. Ideal candidate must reside in Wyandotte County, KS or be very familiar with the challenges of low-income communities in Wyandotte County.
- B.A. or B.S. in a relevant area and minimum of 3-5 years in advocacy/community organizing experience OR M.A./M.S./M.P.H/M.P.A and minimum of 1-2 years in advocacy/community organizing experience
- Deep understanding of health issues in community
- Experience building and managing complex coalitions
- Strong interpersonal and stakeholder relations skills with an ability to identify new strategic partnerships among key organizational stakeholders in the community
- Takes initiative and good analytic thinker
- Passionate about social justice with a respect for disparate populations
- Excellent writing and communication skills with an ability to present information to different types of audiences.
- Experience in all aspects of program management including planning and evaluation
- Ability to work effectively with public officials and a variety of stakeholders including grassroots groups and advocates
Communities Creating Opportunity (CCO) was formed in 1977 in response to rapid racial transition and financial disinvestment in Kansas City's southeast neighborhoods throughout the 1970s. CCO is a non-partisan, multi-faith, multi-racial organization that partners with diverse communities and people of faith to realize their power, develop strong leaders, unite partners, and advance solutions to community challenges. Priority issue areas include health access and equity, economic dignity, racial equity, violence interruption and early childhood education.
Kansas City, MO
Fri, 1 Sep 2017 11:26:14 PDT