Senior Writer and Editor
American International College is a private, coeducational institution of higher education located on a 70+ acre campus in Springfield, Massachusetts. The campus has 42 buildings on two sites approximately 1/2 mile apart with a total of approximately 660,000 gross square feet. Included in the inventory of buildings are student residences for a resident population of 900 students. Founded in 1885, the College has 3700 graduate and undergraduate students. AIC offers a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs through the Schools of Business, Arts and Sciences; Health Sciences; and Education. The mission of the College is to transform student lives through career focused learning, with a strong foundation in the liberal arts, a commitment to serving the community, and a high level of involvement in the global economy.
- The Senior Writer & Editor is a collaborative team player responsible for a wide range of integrated written deliverables across all platforms incorporating the AIC brand including, but not limited to, print, web, mobile, digital, social media, video and audio.
- Must have the ability to think creatively while demonstrating sound editorial judgement, discretion and confidentiality on projects of escalating importance to the College.
- Serve as lead writer, editor and interviewer for AIC's Lucent Magazine, annual reports, institutional vision documents, proformas, accreditation reports, fact brochures and publications, historic overviews, video and audio scripts, speeches, ad copy, press releases, public service announcements, opinion pieces, talking points, etc.
- Research, write, edit and proofread original material for print, web, mobile, social media, video and audio.
- Review and implement editorial standards for quality and style, generally following the Chicago Manual of Style; Associated Press Style Guide and AIC-specific style guidelines as needed.
- Coordinate integrated messaging across a variety of channels and projects utilizing best practices with SEO, SEM, keywording and tagging.
- Conduct thorough research, fact checking, and be able to simplify and reproduce complex reports and documents into easily read formats.
- Writes, edits and proofreads College wide materials as assigned. This includes, but is not limited to, undergraduate and graduate admissions, Registrar, Human Resources, Alumni, fundraising and Athletic Department projects.
- Demonstrate exemplary customer/client service at all times and works collaboratively with all campus schools, divisions and departments as well as alumni and athletics groups.
- Attend college events as needed, including those in the evening and on weekends. Have a strong command of American English grammar.
- Work closely with the unit director on the creation of institutional marketing plans and editorial planning.
- Possess and execute basic content management system design and html knowledge. Ability to use WordPress or similar content management systems.
- Demonstrated experience with photography and image editing.
- Responsible for tracking AIC websites and social media analytics and provide readily understandable reports. Also coordinate the tracking and filing of written, photo, web and video content.
- Other duties as assigned including filing, purchase orders, taking meeting minutes, etc.
- Required Degree(s): Bachelor's
- Required Field of Expertise: Understanding of issues pertinent to higher education; Five or more years of writing and editing experience required; Three or more years of writing and editing experience with a publication.
- Preferred Field of Expertise: Experience within the higher-education field is strongly desired.
- Language Ability: Ability to write reports, business correspondence and presentations. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from students, parents, vendors, and the general public.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, InDesign, and experience with the internet.
- Strong interpersonal, collaboration, listening, and interviewing skills
- Ability to write and manage content across a variety of channels, including website, e-mails, direct mail, social media, magazines, printed publications, letters, and advertising.
This is a full time, exempt, benefited position. Normal office hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. with a non-paid lunch break. The hours are flexible to the needs of the department. Some nights and weekends required.
Qualified applicants should save and submit a brief cover letter, current resume, and contact information for three professional references (one of which must be a current or prior supervisor) as one document. Upload the saved document into the online application.
AIC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.