Director, ACC Fire Academy
General Statement of Job
To direct and manage the programs and staff at the Austin Community College (ACC) Fire Training Academy including budget, purchasing, coordinating course schedules, and assigning adjunct and skills teaching assignments.
Note: ACC Fire Training Academy is located at 4800 Shaw Ln Bldg F; Austin TX 78744 Hours 40 hours/week as assigned; Generally Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Salary Manager 1/121 ($42,070.00 - $60,101.00) FLSA Status Exempt Reports To Department Chair Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Additional Job Specific Duties
- 1. Coordinate training with the Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP).
2. Maintain training documentation in accordance with TCFP.
3. Ensure instructor cadre meets TCFP certification requirements.
4. Adheres to and enforces TCFP rules and regulations.
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Principles, best practices, and trends in fire training and management.
- Supervisory principles, practices, and methods.
- Certification standards.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Maintaining an established work schedule.
- Effectively using interpersonal and communications skills, including tact and diplomacy.
- Effectively using organizational and planning skills with attention to detail and follow-through.
- Leading and coordinating the activities of subordinate personnel.
- Maintaining confidentiality of work-related information and materials.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships.
- Use a variety of spreadsheet, word processing, database, and presentation software.
Required Work Experience
- Three years related work experience including one year supervisory experience. Education cannot be substituted for supervisory experience.
Preferred Work Experience
- Five years as an Instructor in the Fire Protection career field and/or 3 years working in Fire Protection Training (Fire Department Training Division or a Fire Service Academy).
- Associate degree.
- AA or AAS in Fire Science or Fire Protection Technology
- Texas Commission on Fire Protection (TCFP) Fire Instructor III
TCFP Fire Officer II
International Fire Service Accreditation Congress (IFSAC) Fire Instructor III
IFSAC Fire Officer II
- Work is performed in a standard office or similar environment.
- Subject to standing, walking, sitting, bending, reaching, pushing, and pulling.
- Occasional lifting of objects up to 10 pounds.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- TCFP or IFSAC Fire Officer III
- Supervise safe operation of unit. Facilitate safety inspections. Take reasonable and prudent actions to eliminate identified hazards. Ensure employees receive appropriate safety training and foster a workplace safety culture.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.