Vice President of Student Services
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a Vice President of Student Services.
The Vice President of Student Services shall be responsible for integration, coordination, and effective, efficient operation of the Student Services Departments, college-wide. As a member of Cabinet, the Vice President of Student Services reports to the President and participates in the development and implementation of administrative policy, and takes part in the strategic planning process toward the establishment of the College mission, vision, and goals.
Develop and maintain effective systems of both horizontal and vertical communication within the Student Services Departments and with other areas within the College
The Vice President of Student Services has primary responsibility for all matters relating to the operation of the following:
1. Student Activity Center
~ Provide direction for appropriate student activities including intramurals, events and programs
2. Student Housing
~ Oversee activities related to residential housing including outreach, process and procedures and operations.
3. Records and Registration
~ Including Information Desk and Switchboard Operations
4. Career Planning Center
~Assure that advising, registration, and academic support services align with the College’s enrollment management goals
5. Testing Services
6. Student Services Center
~ Internal Admissions Advising and Veteran’s Services
7. Federal TRiO Programs
~ Student Support Services
~ Educational Talent Search
8. Institutional Research
The Vice President of Student Services provides leadership in a continuous cycle of evaluation and improvement of services provided to students. This includes, but is not limited to the following:
1. Serve as Chair of the Campus Life and Student Engagement Committee
2. Serve as an active member of the Retention Committee
3. Prepare budget recommendations and supervise expenditures for the Student Services Departments in coordination with administrators in each area. Administer the final budget.
4. Assure the delivery of an effective program of registration and advisement for all prospective and continuing students.
5. Assure the delivery of supportive services and/or accommodations for special populations, including at-risk students, students with disabilities, and veterans.
6. Assure the delivery of an efficient student registration process and the maintenance of accurate student records.
7. Assure the delivery of career services to students including career counseling, job-seeking skills development, and job placement assistance.
8. Assure the delivery of information and advisement to support a seamless and effective transfer process for students.
9. Assure that Student Services is engaged in effective strategies in concert with other college departments to support the re-enrollment and retention of students.
10. Assure the delivery of high quality and comprehensive academic support services, including, but not limited to the TRiO Grants (Student Support Services and Educational Talent Search), Testing Center and Disability Services
Within the Student Services Departments, recruit, hire and train employees so that performance is consistent with the vision and mission of the College. This includes, but is not limited to, the following:
1. Provide professional development opportunities for all staff.
2. Recommend to the Chief of Staff and President the employment or dismissal of staff within the Student Services Division.
3. Assure the ongoing evaluation of all staff within the Student Services Departments.
Performs other duties as assigned by the College President.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution plus 10 years relevant experience, or;
Master’s Degree from an accredited institution plus 5 years relevant experience.
Minimum of five years of progressive leadership and experience, performing closely related position responsibilities.
A strong commitment to student success and continuing the atmosphere of institutional collaboration is vital to success in this position.
An earned doctorate from an accredited institution and 8 years of recent full-time and relevant experience
An understanding and commitment to student development and the provision of quality student services to students; excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work effectively with students, faculty and staff, one to one or in groups; demonstrated self-starter and the ability to work independently.
Ability to handle multiple tasks and/or projects; precise with attention to detail; strong work ethic and dedication to the job; strong leadership and motivational skills; excellent organizational skills; demonstrate creativity and initiative in developing and carrying out new projects; computer proficiency and experience with spreadsheet.
Knowledge of the Banner student information system a plus.
Posting Number 20110607
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 5
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts
- Optional Documents