University Information Systems (UIS) provides technical services and enterprise applications to the University of Colorado campuses and the Office of the President. UIS is committed to excellence in customer service and technical expertise. Through the development of enterprise applications, UIS supports the University as a whole with systems used by students, faculty, human resources employees, finance employees, and others.
This position's work includes the advanced planning, implementation, administration, and operational support of the university's enterprise infrastructure. This includes daily issue resolution, regular maintenance work, advisement and contribution for project initiatives primarily within the infrastructure team. This also includes participating in the definition, implementation, and support of best practices used by the team with a focus on continual improvement.
Duties and Responsibilities:
This position assists with the design, programming, and advanced support of infrastructure hardware, software, and associated services. The person in this position will participate and/or lead activities responsible for planning, installing, configuring, maintaining, documenting, troubleshooting, and upgrading infrastructure related services. The Systems Engineer also performs advanced diagnostics, resolves and/or escalates complex problems to vendors as needed to address system, network, application, and customer problems. This position regularly works with other teams within UIS, and throughout other CU campuses, as part of daily operations, projects, and/or various initiatives.
The Systems Engineer deploys and manages server operating systems, both physical and virtual (Linux, Windows, VMware), to include directory services and storage maintenance and support. Operate and support messaging services; Email (Exchange/O365) and IM (SFB). Manage backup/restore services (VEEAM). Configuration and maintenance of layer 2/3 network and voice services, to include firewall and load balancer appliances. Monitor, analyze, report, and remediate systems activity to ensure optimal performance and operation. Develop and maintain documentation covering essential job functions and supported systems. The Systems Engineer also performs advanced troubleshooting, prepares for and executes upgrades, participates and/or serves as the technical lead for projects and initiatives, and serves as a mentor to other team members.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
A candidate will need the following to be considered successful in this position:
- Competent skills using MS Office and Visio for the management of tasks & documentation purposes
- Ability to interact positively, clearly, and professionally with customers, peers and upper management
- Acute problem solving skills and effective communication, along with the ability to work independently, as well as part of a cross-functional team
- Business analytical skills to understand the business of UIS and it's customers in order to present, recommend, and implement satisfactory technology solutions based on business needs
Who we are:
System Administration, which also houses the Office of the President, is located in the uptown neighborhood of Denver with an office in Broomfield and a few smaller offices located on the campuses. However, this position is located in Denver. Many of our departments support the educational and research missions of the four University of Colorado campuses. We provide diverse opportunities for professional development, innovation, and collaboration with talented staff and faculty.
The University of Colorado is committed to recruiting and supporting diversity and equality in education and employment. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans.
What We Offer:
The salary range for this position is $85,000 to $100,000.
Benefits: The University of Colorado offers an excellent benefits package including:
- Medical, Dental, Disability, Vision, Life and Wellness
- Retirement: 10% Employer Match
- Paid Time Off
- Tuition Benefit
- ECO Pass
For more information on benefits programs, including eligibility, is available at www.cu.edu/employee-services/.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in computer science, engineering or other related field. A combination of education, technology training and industry certifications, and related experience may substitute for the degree on a year for year basis.
- At least 8 years combined proven experience in the following technologies:
- Planning, implementation, configuration, administration, and supporting Windows Server, Active Directory, and Group Policy Management and/or enterprise Linux environments
- Implementing and managing Microsoft Exchange and/or Office 365 environments
- Advanced knowledge and experience planning, implementing, and operating mid to large VMware environments
- In-depth experience building and deploying enterprise Storage Area Network (SAN) environments
- Strong knowledge and experience setting up and operating an enterprise backup/restore solution to include disk, tape, and virtual environments
- At least 3 years of proven experience in the following:
- Demonstrable proficiency scripting/programming (PowerShell, Python)
- Configuration and utilization of enterprise system/network monitoring tools; alerts, log review, analysis, and remediation
- Route/Switch/Security Networking; datacenter, core, and branch office
- Supporting telephony services, particularly VoIP
- Experience utilizing automation tools such as Puppet, Chef, Ansible, or related tools
- Experience deploying, integrating with, and/or supporting cloud infrastructure services (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Mid-level, or beyond, certifications in one or more of the previously mentioned areas of disciplines/expertise
Special Instructions to Applicants:For full consideration, completed applications must be received by Friday, September 15, 2017. Those who do not apply by September 15, 2017 may or may not be considered. Reference checking is a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including email addresses, for up to five references as part of the search process for this position. *Please note: All application materials must be submitted through CU Careers; emailed materials will not be considered.*
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:You must attach a cover letter, resume, and list of references to your application as three separate documents. Please ensure you check the "Job Specific Attachments" box next the each document on the "Required Documents" page of the application for the appropriate documents to be attached. For full consideration, please apply by September 15, 2017.
Job Category: Information Technology
Primary Location: Denver
Department: S0001 -- System Administration - 50119 - University Information Systems
Posting Date: Sep 5, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Lauren Morain
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00702613