Director of Alumni Engagement
This position is primarily responsible for strategizing, developing, leading, executing and managing a comprehensive Alumni Relations strategy for the college with the goal of dramatically increasing opportunities for meaningful engagement, some of which will lead to high-level volunteer leadership and/or significant private support over time. Major priorities of this role include creating and leading a strategic plan for the engineering alumni program, aligning the Graduates of the Last Decade (GOLD) board with the college's priorities, and supervision of two roles: the Alumni Engagement Coordinator and Alumni Events Coordinator. Collaboration with internal and external constituents is essential to ensure professional opportunities and beneficial partnerships between the college and our current and future alumni and engineering/business community. Proof of eligibility to work in the United States must be produced within three (3) days of hire.
Who we are:
Founded in 1893, the College of Engineering and Applied Science at the University of Colorado Boulder is the second largest of seven schools and colleges at one of the nation's top public research institutions. As Colorado's flagship university, CU Boulder has selective admissions standards and a comprehensive array of undergraduate and graduate programs.
What your key responsibilities will be:
Alumni Strategy and Execution
- Develop and lead strategy vision for alumni engagement in the College; manage implementation to engage, cultivate, and involve CEAS alumni in ways that support the college's vision and strategic direction, including the cultivation of high-level volunteer leadership and the potential for significant private support.
- Work as a liaison between Executive Director of Campus Programs, the BOLD Center, and the CEAS Assistant Dean for Students to foster the parent community and inclusion as part of the undergraduate experience specifically.
- Plan strategy and organize high-impact annual events including (but not limited to) the Distinguished Engineering Alumni Awards; regional and global outreach; home football pregame events; etc.
- Partner with and involve deans, directors, faculty, and students, both locally and across the globe as part of outreach efforts.
- Meet one-on-one with alumni on behalf of the college to discuss and strategize current and future volunteer opportunities.
- Identify, promote, and support alumni and volunteer recognition opportunities, ex. alumni awards, alumni publications, community awards, etc.
- Take the lead role in identifying sustainable volunteer engagement opportunities and the establishment of compelling college-related activities and experiences.
- Annually benchmark and survey the alumni outreach efforts - evolve and adjust programs when needed.
- Serve as a liaison between student government leadership and volunteers.
- Work closely with Advancement leadership to source and engage alumni in creating a culture of engagement and philanthropy.
- Implement new alumni engagement opportunities to reach different constituents, including educational, service, family, etc.
- Work closely with the College Marketing & Communications team to create an integrated marketing campaign with targeted messaging and a call to engage alumni and current students - evolving and changing each year.
- Work with College Marketing & Communications team to identify alumni to feature in communications pieces.
- Elevate the visibility of alumni throughout the college via printed materials (posters, etc.) and speaking opportunities, as appropriate.
- Work with Leeds Communications Team to create relevant promotional platforms for a variety of key stakeholders that meet the objectives outlined in the plan for outreach including: current students, young alumni, all alumni, donors, volunteers, parents, etc.
- Manage firstname.lastname@example.org email address and respond to individual alumni questions/concerns regarding topics such as job resources and networking opportunities.
- Manage the GOLD Board, a young alumni board, ensuring their work aligns with the strategic direction of the college; provide communications and feedback support.
- Utilize the Advance (donor/prospect) database to pull reports and contact constituent for events, outreach, and dissemination of print and web-based publications.
- Increase the accuracy and completeness of constituent contact information in databases.
- Attend monthly meetings with alumni directors across campus and the Alumni Association Executive Director to share information, discuss best practices and to identify potential partnerships and joint initiatives.
- Align and manage budget to meet overall alumni relations strategy.
- Facilitate the dissemination of alumni contact information as requested by programs and departments for mailings, invitations to events, direct contact, etc.
- Undertake other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Assistant Dean for Advancement.
- Supervise and train the Alumni Engagement staff.
- Evaluate annual performance and on a continuous basis for coaching and performance feedback, setting goals, cultural leadership, and any disciplinary action as needed.
- Ensure compliance with University and College policies. Approve leave requests and monthly timesheets.
- Provide day-to-day management of professional development and feedback.
What we can offer:
We can offer a competitive salary, commensurate with experience. The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be inclusive. Be engaged. Be successful. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
- Five years of experience in alumni relations, communications and/or related areas, with a proven track record of success.
- Ability to travel along the Colorado Front Range and nationally.
What you will need:
- Experience in Microsoft Office, specifically Excel, in addition to database management and data manipulation.
- Experience in development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptionally strong leadership and networking skills.
- Excellent presentation skills, including high level of comfort presenting to senior management.
- Creative problem solver with strong critical thinking skills.
- Demonstrated marketing management skills and the ability to work effectively with decision-makers across all levels within an organization.
- Proficient project manager with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Detail-oriented with strong ability to understand constituent needs.
- Experience in constituent relations/relationship management.
- Experience developing, planning and rolling out strategy.
- Demonstrated success at organizing and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Sensitivity to and appreciation of cultural, political, and geographical differences, with ability to work well with faculty, staff, and students from around the world.
What we'd like you to have:
- Seven years of experience in alumni relations, communications, and/or related areas, with a proven track record of success.
- Supervision experience with strong ability to lead teams toward a common goal.
- Experience in a higher education environment.
- Experience in an engineering firm or among engineers in other settings.
- CU Boulder alumni.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by September 24, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-10909.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: External Relations
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10298 - College Engineering & App Sci
Posting Date: Sep 1, 2017
Closing Date: Sep 24, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00737487