JOB NO.: 91997-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: ENGR/EXTERNAL RELATIONS
Categories: Communications, Editing, Extension, Outreach, Public Engagement, Marketing, Public Relations
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 91997-AS
Working Title: Science Writer
Official Title: SR UNIV REL SPEC(T54BN) or UNIV RELATIONS SPEC(T54DN) or ASSOC UNIV REL SPEC(T54FN)
Hiring Department: A190700-COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING/EXTERNAL RELATIONS
Anticipated Begin Date: SEPTEMBER 25, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $42,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Bachelor's degree required, focus in communications, journalism or other related fields strongly preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
Skills and experience required:
- One year professional experience required, two or more years professional journalistic writing or communications experience strongly preferred, particularly with an emphasis on writing about science and technology for general audiences.
- Outstanding writing, editing and interviewing skills, with a high attention to detail and an ability to write quickly, clearly and accurately.
- A proactive approach, a can-do attitude, and an ability to establish priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Professional university-level communications experience.
- Familiarity with university-level research, particularly in a science, technology or engineering field.
- Experience with photography, videography, podcasting, social media, graphics and web content management systems, such as WordPress.
- Familiarity with communications and graphic design software such as the Adobe Creative Suite.
The UW-Madison College of Engineering has a long history of excellence in research and education and its graduates are recognized as exceptionally well prepared, productive leaders. Every day, college faculty, staff, students and alumni are developing new knowledge and making critical technological contributions that improve our lives and impact society. Engineering External Relations (EER) staff take great pride in telling the stories of these contributions to audiences that include alumni, our peers, and the public. Part of the college advancement team, EER is the central communications office for the college and, drawing on a variety of media platforms, EER staff create relevant, engaging communications materials that support the college advancement mission and help increase the college's national visibility and leadership in research and education.
Working both collaboratively and independently, the science writer will identify and develop audience-focused news and feature stories designed to promote and advance this top-ranked engineering college.
Instructions to applicants:
Click apply now to initiate the application. To apply for this position, you must upload a single PDF document that contains your cover letter, resume and three writing samples that best demonstrate your skills and qualifications as they relate to this position. If you host your writing samples on a website, please prominently include the URL of your site and indicate which three samples you would like considered.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Sep 1 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: Sep 19 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time