Safety Compliance Specialist
Safety Compliance Specialist
College of the Sequoias
Description of Position
Under the direction of the Dean of Facilities, the Safety Compliance Specialist performs a variety of routine to moderately complex activities pertaining to the planning, coordination, implementation and reporting requirements of the District's safety programs.
Associate degree and minimum five years of experience in safety compliance or related field.
• Coordinate, plan, and implement the actions and recommendations of the District's Facilities and Safety Council; provide technical assistance and advice to the Council; present progress reports at each meeting.
• Conduct monthly and as-needed safety inspections of all departments District-wide, including the inspection of facilities, worksites, equipment, work practices, and safety devices; report findings to departments and recommend corrections to establish safe work conditions; report potential imminent hazards for timely cessation of cause; monitor changes and/or make follow-up inspections.
• Update and maintain the SDS (Safety Data Sheets) online database.
• Provide consultation, guidance, and technical assistance to all departments on matters related to workplace safety including assisting in the development of department-specific safety manuals and forms, and advising of proper recordkeeping requirements.
• Assist with employee safety trainings/orientations and maintenance of training records.
• Develop safety newsletters and other documents as requested, including meeting/training notices and informational flyers.
• Coordinate annual servicing and as-needed verifications of furniture, fixtures, equipment and related systems (i.e. fire extinguishers, fire sprinklers, elevators, bleachers, etc.).
• Investigate accidents and/or incidents of injury or property damage at District sites to ascertain cause and need for corrective action; develop and implement measures and strategies to prevent their recurrence in order to meet long-range loss- reduction goals.
• Monitor California/OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) and other local, state and federal regulations, current legislation and nationally recognized environmental, health and safety standards to assure the District's compliance.
• Revise, maintain and assist in publishing various safety programs, documents and manuals.
• Accompany outside vendors and inspectors during significant visits or delegate duties to departmental safety representatives; determine, plan, and implement necessary follow-up action to comply with laws; disseminate information to departments as appropriate.
• Attend meetings and/or other events and activities; may represent supervisor and/or department at meetings and activities.
• Perform a wide variety of clerical work, under direction and independently. Maintain clerical records and compile reports as required.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Salary and Benefits
• Salary is at Range 34 AA ($1,765 monthly)
• Salary increase after 6 months of satisfactory service;
increases annually thereafter.
• Minimum 5% increase if promoted.
• 10-working month probationary period.
• Union membership upon employment.
• PERS Retirement.
• Employee life insurance ($100,000) is provided.
Conditions of Employment
• Indoor and outdoor environment.
• Drive vehicle from site to site to conduct business of
the Sequoias Community College District.
• Travel out of the area for meetings, training or other
job-related purposes as needed.
• Ability to climb ladders, stairs and work from heights.
• Ability to walk over rough or uneven surfaces.
• Ability to reach in all directions, bend, kneel, crouch.
• Ability to lift or carry 30 lbs; push/pull heavy objects.
• Ability to hear and speak to communicate with
• Ability to operate standard office and other equipment
needed to perform daily tasks.
• Ability to perform work in various conditions and
• Exposure to chemical fumes, dust, odors, noise from equipment operation.
• Working in a cramped or restrictive work spaces.
• Exposure to a variety of specialized equipment.
Licenses Needed and other Requirements:
• Cal/OSHA Standards for the General Industry Certificate or the ability to complete within 24 months of employment.
• Valid California driver's license
• An incumbent must be insurable at the "standard rate"
by the employer's insurance carrier at all times while employed in this classification by the Sequoias CCD.
Only complete application packages will be evaluated by a qualified screening committee as soon as possible after the closing date. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not assure the candidate an interview. Application materials will be screened to determine the extent to which they meet the Representative Duties. A selected group of candidates will be invited for oral interviews. After initial interviews, finalists may be asked to return for a second interview. All costs incurred because of the application/selection process shall be borne by the candidate.
For full application instructions and position description, visit https://www.cos.edu/About/HumanResources/Pages/Employment-Opportunities.aspx
Applicants must submit the following materials which must be received by Human Resource Services on or before the application deadline,
September 15, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.
• Completed COS classified application form
• Letter of Interest which addresses your interest in this
position and the representative duties • Resume
• Copies of transcripts (Officials upon employment)
Human Resource Services College of the Sequoias CCD 915 S. Mooney Blvd., Sequoia 5 Visalia, CA 93277
Notice to all candidates for employment
"College of the Sequoias Community College District is an equal opportunity employer. Prospective employees will receive consideration without discrimination because of race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, age, religion, mental or physical disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, military service, or any other basis protected by law."
The District provides reasonable accommodations to qualified applicants with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the job application and hiring process, please contact a representative from Human Resources at (559) 730-3867 to request a reasonable accommodation."