Senior Associate Director, Alumni and Parent Relations
Haverford College seeks to hire a full time, exempt, fully benefits eligible Senior Associate Director of Alumni and Parent Relations. The primary responsibilities of the Senior Associate Director, Alumni and Parent Relations (APR) include affinity program strategy and management and alumni and parent engagement through reunion-based, regional, and virtual initiatives.
Essential Functions & Primary Responsibilities:
● Together with the Director of APR and the entire APR team, think critically, strategically, and creatively about the ways in which alumni engage with the College and with one another. Design and execute programming to strengthen alumni engagement – in person and virtually – within the context of the alumni lifecycle and in alignment with fundraising efforts. Refine the strategy by which we leverage affinity groups to engage alumni and parents, and, together with the team, evaluate and adjust programming on an ongoing basis to maximize impact and alumni engagement.
● Supervise and provide guidance to two Associate Directors (as part of an eight-person team), in addition to student interns. Monitor progress against established goals on an on-going basis. Responsible for, in partnership with Director of APR, finalizing job description for and recruiting, hiring and training of one of these Associate Directors within the first 6-9 months of assuming this position. Associate Directors are responsible for working with reunion classes/projects, managing affinity groups, and executing regional and on-campus events among other duties.
● Direct affinity group strategy development and execution in consultation with IA Senior Team and in full collaboration within APR. Enhance existing and build new affinity networks within the alumni body and between the alumni body and the campus community in order to more thoughtfully engage alumni by profession, age/generation, gender, race/ethnicity, special interest, etc. Manage affinity reunions both on and off campus. Leverage alumni resources in collaboration with campus departments.
● Support the conceptualization and implementation of a successful reunion program annually. Manage 2-4 specific reunion classes. Together with the team, effectively assess, analyze, and enhance reunion-related engagement tools. In partnership with Individual Giving, play a key role in ensuring strong class gift results. Act as class liaison for all social planning activities. Serve as a leadership member of the Reunion Mini Team and help execute tactics to ensure strong attendance. Expect that all reunion-related responsibilities will require extensive volunteer recruitment, management, training, and coordination.
● Other on and off campus duties as assigned.
Education, Training, & Experience:
● Bachelor’s degree required
● 5-7 years of alumni relations and/or advancement experience preferred
● Familiarity with a liberal arts setting, as well as Haverford’s mission and priorities is favored.
● Demonstrated ability to direct the strategy and implementation of a program, as well as to manage a team of direct reports
● Staff and/or Volunteer management experience required, including demonstrated knowledge of recruitment, hiring, training, addressing performance challenges and retaining high performers
● Knowledge of fundraising and annual giving necessary; direct solicitation is a plus
● Superior oral and written communication skills, including proofreading and editing
● Excellent management, organization, communication, and interpersonal skills required, including diplomacy, tact, discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality.
● Ability to work within structured environment to meet many calendar deadlines
● Technological proficiency, including familiarity with spreadsheets and databases (Raisers Edge preferred).
Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions Required of this Position:
- Lifting (to exert strength to move objects from one place to another):
- Sedentary Lifting: (0-10 pounds): Up to three
- Light Lifting (10-20 pounds): Up to three
- Moderate Lifting (20-50 pounds): Never
- Heavy Lifting (50 to 100 pounds): Never
- Pulling (to exert force upon an abject to move or change its direction: Up to three
- Pushing (to draw an object toward oneself to move or change its direction): Up to three
- Carrying (to hold objects while moving entire body): Up to three
- Reaching or working above shoulder (to extend arms upward or outward away from body): Up to three
- Walking (to move entire body in erect position): Three to six hours
- Standing (to maintain body in erect posture in stationary position): Three to six hours
- Sitting (to rest weight on buttocks and back of thighs with legs bent at knees): Three to six hours
- Crouching/Stooping (to bend upper body forward while fully flexing knees): Three to six hours
- Kneeling (to maintain upper body in erect position while resting knees on ground): Up to three hours
- Climbing (to ascend or descent heights using ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, inclined surfaces): Up to three hours
- Twisting (to rotate upper body while feet remain stationary): Up to three hours
- Driving (operating a motor vehicle, crane, tractor, forklift, etc.): Up to three hours
- Exposure Limitation (i.e., cold water, dust, gas, fumes, extreme temperatures): Up to three hours
● Evening and weekend work required
● Ability to travel on College related business
● Possession of valid U.S. Driver’s License and ability to pass Motor Vehicle Record check required.
Internal Candidates: Please visit https://www.myworkday.com/haverford/d/inst/15$158872/9925$44.htmld
External Candidates: Please visit https://haverford.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External/job/Haverford-Campus/Sr-Assoc-Dir--Alumni---Parents_R46
Haverford College has a longstanding commitment to diversity rooted in values of inclusion and social justice, a commitment reflected in the academic program, lived experience, and composition of the College community. Haverford welcomes applications from candidates who share these values and who will contribute to the College’s educational mission.
Haverford College is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.