Software Developer 1
Software Developer 1
Job Number: 76177
Software Developer 1 The Natural Capital Project Fixed term two years The Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment seeks a Software Developer professional to support scientific numerical analyses, implementation of ecosystem service software models, GIS APIs and pipelines, and maintenance and deployment of servers. The Natural Capital Project melds world-class research on environmental economics with influential conservation programs. NatCap's Integrated Valuation of Environmental Services and Tradeoffs (InVEST) software suite enables decision-makers to quantify nature's values, assess tradeoffs associated with alternative land-use choices, and integrate conservation and human development into land- and water-use and investment decisions. This position is fixed term for two years with the possibility of extension pending programmatic needs and funding sources. JOB PURPOSE: Execute all programming tasks, including programming, analyzing, designing, developing, implementing, modifying, and maintaining computer programs of small to moderate size and complexity or segments of larger systems. CORE DUTIES*:
- Assess user needs and requirements.
- Design and develop applications that may involve sophisticated data manipulation.
- Maintain and update existing programs.
- Troubleshoot and solve technical problems.
- Create programs to meet reporting and analysis needs.
- Design and implement user and operations training programs.
- Document changes in software for end users.
- Follow team software development methodology.
- Serve as technical resource with respect to applications.
- Perform code reviews for other members of the software development team.
- Current knowledge of software and design standards.
- Ability to define and solve logical problems for technical applications.
- Knowledge of and ability to select, adapt, and effectively use a variety of programming methods.
- Ability to recognize and recommend needed changes in user and/or operations procedures.
- Basic knowledge of software engineering principles.
- Strong knowledge of at least one programming language.
- Experience in open source software development or software for scientific applications.
- Experience scripting or programming in GIS especially the GDAL and OGR libraries.
- Experience with distributed computing, container technologies or cloud development.
- Experience in user interface design and implementation especially with the Qt library.
- Experience building and distributing desktop applications for multiple operating systems.
- Constantly perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Frequently sit, grasp lightly/fine manipulation.
- Occasionally stand/walk, writing by hand.
- Rarely use a telephone, lift/carry/push/pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds
- May work extended hours, evening and weekends.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University's Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu.
Job: Information Technology Services
Location: Dean of Research
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.