Associate Director, Prospect Development
The University of Denver is building an advancement enterprise that mirrors the excellence of our great institution. Advancement efforts at DU have a tremendous impact through our relationships with DU's remarkable students, dedicated donors, inspiring alumni, engaged families, and wonderful friends. DU is committed to building and fostering a culture of deep engagement and philanthropy in support of our institution as we implement the DU IMPACT 2025 vision. As a part of that effort, we are continuing to grow a team of collaborative, curious, results-oriented, and mission-driven advancement professionals who value inclusivity and who possess a deep respect for one another and for our shared profession.
The Associate Director of Prospect Development partners with the Advancement community to assess the full spectrum of available data in order to provide a framework for strategic, actionable fundraising plans. As part of the Department of Business Intelligence and Analytics (BIA), the Associate Director supervises a team of prospect researchers, which provides focus for portfolio and pipeline management best practices through prospect identification, data analysis, portfolio optimization, and related services in support of effective fundraising programs and activities. The Associate Director also provides reliable and timely qualitative and quantitative data and trend analysis that supports the strategic and tactical planning and operational effectiveness of key fundraising programs, including annual, major, principal and planned giving.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Proven research and analytical techniques, emphasizing the ability to gather, evaluate and synthesize complex and large sets of data from various sources and present information in a clear and cohesive manner.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Comfort and experience communicating with individuals from diverse backgrounds by phone, email and in person.
- Display and demonstrate an overall knowledge of prospect development, including prospect identification, research and management, as well as data analysis, querying, and reporting.
- Expertise in industry-standard sources of data.
- Demonstrated ability to contribute to strategic discussions, connecting the science of research with the art of relationship building.
- Strong sense of curiosity and critical thinking.
- Solid knowledge of MS Office Suite and familiarity with Customer Relationship Management (CRM) databases.
- Demonstrated ability to lead within a team and promote partnership, while also working independently, setting priorities, juggling tasks as needed, and completing projects within specified timeframes amidst a face paced work environment.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Minimum of 5 years of related research experience with success in understanding fundraisers' needs.
- Ability to translate needs into viable resources for fundraising organization and individual fundraisers.
- Master's degree in research methods, journalism, analytics and/or business intelligence.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Knowledge of current trends in philanthropy and higher education as well as advanced analytical and research skills.
- Experience working in Tableau, Cognos, SSRS, CRM Advance, SPSS, Excel, and Access.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. with some evenings and weekends required.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Thursday, September 14, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. If you have questions regarding this position please contact Lisa Redfield at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.