Fashion Institute of Technology - Technology Associate Part Time-Library & Fabrication Lab Tech
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a part time Technology Associate in the Gladys Marcus Library at FIT
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Function as an integral member of the library technology services unit to provide maintenance, support and troubleshooting for all Library technology. Provide user support for Library faculty, staff, students and visitors. Provide technical support for PrintFX, Fab Lab, FIT Global and FIT Digital Image Library (FITDIL) and associated equipment and software.
General Technology Services
Respond to and resolve requests for technical assistance as assigned.
- Provide support for administration of Library back-end servers, network and intranet support and support of specialized Library systems (i.e. OCLC, ILLiad, Aleph, etc.)
- Install and upgrade software, workstations, operating systems, drivers, peripherals, etc.
- Maintain specialized library hardware and peripherals (barcode readers, label printers, scanners, digital video cameras, digital cameras, fax machines, LCD projectors, DVD and VCR players, etc.)
- Customize and install desktop images for Library PCs and Macs
- Provide assistance in the development of core desktop image with campus IT
- Assist with backup and restoration of files
- Troubleshoot the student "pay for print system"
- Provide technical support and back-up for FITDIL Tech for FIT Global
- Remain abreast of current technologies
Specialized Technology Responsibilities
Works with Technology Resources Manager and PrintFX Coordinator to provide support and production work using the rapid prototyping and laser cutting equipment including developing and promoting the use of these specialized technologies and creates specialized instructional guides for students and faculty. To achieve quality assurance interacts with students and faculty production of models. Maintains spreadsheets of production schedules, output and inventories of supplies.
- Verifies 3D files using Magics software; calculates time and cost of models being printed; corrects minor errors in files before sending to print; returns files that are improperly built for correction
- Oversees 3D printing process; prepares models on virtual platform before sending to print; executes finishing procedures for each model
- Provides maintenance for 3D printers
- Verifies Illustrator files for proper set-up for laser cutting; Calculates time and cost of files for laser cutting; corrects minor errors in files; returns files that are improperly set-up for correction
- Provides constant monitoring of laser cutting equipment while in use
- Conducts required routine maintenance after each use
- Researches and tests a variety of materials for Laser Cutting
Cross Unit Responsibilities
Work in various capacities outside of home unit to accomplish library wide initiatives. Such as but not limited to:
- Work collaboratively with library personnel and participates on various team based initiatives
- Provide additional production support in PrintFX
- Present professional development workshops for library personnel as needed
- Support marketing and promotion activities
- Assist with training and supervision of unit's lab monitors and student aides
- Assist with staff-cross training initiatives
Special projects as assigned
- Technical certification (computer industry certification) or Associates degree required
- Strong customer service orientation and enthusiasm for an evolving, collaborative environment
- Ability to work as part of a team, be attentive to detail and be highly organized and remain flexible in a changing environment
- 3-5 years recent experience in training and/or instructional environment in the use of workstations, servers, software and peripherals, including scanners, printers, digital cameras and digital video cameras, rapid prototyping and laser cutting equipment; experience with video capture and editing software
- Experience in utilizing various software packages (i.e. MS Office Suite, Adobe Creative Suite, AutoCad, 3D modeling software), email systems and browsers (i.e. Outlook, Thunderbird, FireFox, Internet Explorer, Opera and Safari)
- Experience with hardware platforms in both PC and Mac and with various printers and print solutions
- Ability to provide technical support for Library facilities (including student labs, a print lab, a fabrication lab, video archive, Library systems and campus digital image database)
- Experience maintaining, troubleshooting and repairing computing platforms and networks
- Ability to communicate instructions and conventions for using computers, peripherals and software
- Proven ability and desire to keep current with computing trends and technology
- Experience with specialized Library systems, digital repositories, color management software, large format digital printers, rapid prototyping equipment and laser cutters
- Experience working in an instructional lab environment with lab users and student lab monitors
Current Salary Schedule: 93
Work Schedule: Mon-Thurs 8:30-1:30
Schedule subject to change based on dept. need
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
* Cover letter
* A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military service status, genetic information, pregnancy, familial status, citizenship status (except as required to comply with law), or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities are encouraged. Inquiries regarding FIT's non-discrimination policies may be directed to the Affirmative Action Officer/Title IX Coordinator, 212 217.3360, email@example.com.