Child Care Assistant II (F/T), CF1N12312ECEC
Plan, implement and evaluate a model program for children, which is consistent with the principles and practices taught in the College of DuPage Early Childhood Education and Care Program. Communicate formally and informally with parents. Coordinate the activities of practicum students and all other students participating in the classroom.
Position Title: Child Care Assistant II (F/T), CF1N12312ECEC
Duties of Position:
- In relation to the Early Childhood Education and Care Program: provide an orientation program about the toddler classroom for practicum students, provide learning opportunities for practicum students and other students participating in the toddler classroom. Act as a role model for college students, visitors and observers; participate in daily meetings as available with members of the classroom teaching team for the purpose of review and planning.
- In relation to children enrolled in Early Childhood Center: plan, implement and evaluate a model program for children consistent with principles and practices taught in Early Childhood Education and Care Program classes; plan, implement and evaluate a program consistent with Department of Children and Family Services; provide a safe and supervised environment for each child in the classroom; use positive guidance techniques as described in the Early Childhood Education and Care Program classes; plan and implement developmentally appropriate experiences for children based upon both individual child and group needs; and keep ongoing written observational records of each child.
- In relation to Program Planning: be familiar with Department of Children and Family Services standards and the National Academy of Early Childhood Program guidelines for child care facilities; know Center policies and procedures for children and staff; prepare daily written plans according to guidelines, for both indoor and outdoor experiences; with the cooperation of other classroom staff, implement a model program curriculum; and maintain daily attendance records.
- In relation to Parents: maintain daily informal contact with parents; provide progress conference for each child 3 months and 9 months after enrollment and other parent conferences as needed or requested; participate in Early Childhood Center family events; contribute to monthly newsletter and complete other communications as needed (phone calls, notes to parents); make home visits to each child's home before or close to the child's enrollment date; maintain classroom documentation boards; and distribute notes, newsletters, etc. to parents.
- In relation to Environment: maintain equipment and facilities in a safe, tidy and clean manner and report needs to the Center Manager; assist in the care of plants and animals; recommend the purchase of appropriate educational materials and other supplies; and complete Early Childhood Center Environmental Support responsibilities as assigned.
- In relation to Professional Standards: maintain the confidentiality of children, families and staff; attend weekly staff meetings and other meetings as required; keep current with professional issues and research; comply with the policies in the Classified Employee Guidebook; and comply with the policies and standards stated in the Early Childhood Center Staff Handbook.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Experience and Education:
Two to three (2-3) years experience in a Child Care Center.
BA in Early Childhood Education or Child Development or BA in another field plus Associates Degree in Child Development/Early Childhood Education, CPR and First Aid Certificates.
Bachelor's Degree in Child Development/Early Childhood Education.
Equipment & Working Conditions:
Early Childhood Center equipment and appliances both indoors and on the playground. Computer usage for development of portfolios.
May include off-campus locations, variable hours. Hours include: daily participation in the Early Childhood Center, visits to homes of children, Early Childhood Center family events and twice yearly in-service classes.
This position requires a background check and drug screen.
Department: Early Childhood Center - ECC
Position Type: Full time - FT
Pay Type: Hourly Non-Exempt