Assistant Onsite Dean
Serves as Primary Learning Officer at assigned Onsite location and is responsible for academic quality at that location. Operates with significant autonomy and maintains an academic atmosphere conducive to staffing, learning, and program growth. Assures and assesses student learning, improves continuation rates, schedules and staffs courses every quarter, and resolves faculty and student concerns.
- Assures compliance with academic policies, procedures and standards.
- Teaches at least three courses each quarter at the Onsite location or online.
- Spends a minimum of 20 hours per week at the Onsite location specifically for academic student services. These hours will be divided between academic administration, academic advising, faculty mentoring, office hours, and tutoring. The required 20 hours does not include teaching time. If teaching more than 3 courses, this time requirement may be reduced.
- Assures compliance with and demonstrates sensitivity to the host client's policies, procedures, and expectations regarding civil treatment of their employees.
- Achieves expected student learning outcomes by, among other things, auditing course syllabi for adjunct faculty, reviewing course learning assessment tools, and ensuring quality instruction through observations.
- In conjunction with the Senior Onsite Dean for their area, recruits, assigns and mentors adjunct faculty consistent with the University's Faculty Hiring Procedures and Onsite Program standards, including assuring their successful completion of teaching demonstrations, new faculty orientation, and the client's instructor certification process.
- Conducts reviews and discusses student evaluations (Student Opinion Poll course data) with adjunct faculty each quarter to improve teaching and other aspects of performance.
- Observes and evaluates the performance of each adjunct faculty member quarterly.
- Builds a cohesive professional community at the Onsite location by, among other things, disseminating information from the University administration to the faculty and vice versa, communicating resource needs to appropriate authorities, and encouraging the participation of adjunct faculty in university activities and programs.
- Manages academic advising, student tutoring in basic subjects, developmental math and English, and other educational support programs and services.
- Conducts effective new student orientations, including introduction to online learning, to familiarize adult learners with University policies, procedures, and services.
- Conducts individual advising sessions with each new student.
- Supports the advising and registration efforts for new and continuing Onsite Program students.
- Coordinates information literacy activities
- Compiles and reports student and program data and other activity updates to the Senior Onsite Dean over their area.
- In conjunction with the Senior Onsite Dean over their area, assesses prior learning petitions by the students including experiential learning portfolios and challenge examinations
- In conjunction with the Onsite Program Manager, establishes and maintains an Onsite Programs culture and morale that ensures the location meets its goals.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Master's Degree Required
Certificates, licenses and registrations:
- Broad educational background; preferably in business and at least one year teaching experience at the college level; excellent oral and written communication skills; preferably at least one year administrative experience
- Proficiency in teaching at the college level, preferably in business
- Must have strong computer skills (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
If you require a reasonable accommodation to complete our application process, please contact our Human Resources Department at Careers@strayer.edu.
Strayer University is an equal opportunity employer and employs qualified individuals regardless of race, religion, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, or any other classification proscribed under applicable law.