Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Professional Research Assistant
This is a full time professional research assistant position within the Gnotobiotic Core Facility. The individual will be responsible for:
- Mouse husbandry within sterile isolators (cage changing, breeding, weaning, etc.)
- Sterilizing bedding, food, and water
- Quality assurance testing
- Experimental manipulations and sample collection (oral gavage, blood and fecal collections, etc.)
- Detailed record keeping of activities within the core
The individual is expected to set up, maintain and take down isolators used for mouse breeding and experiments. General maintenance includes packaging food and bedding, sterilizing supplies and performing quality control tests on supplies before introducing materials into isolators. S/he will also be responsible for weekly animal husbandry such as cage cleaning, breeding, weaning and identification of animals. Microbiological and molecular tests are also performed following weekly sample collection to ensure germ free isolators remain sterile. Testing techniques include Gram stain, plating, broth culture and qPCR. Records of breeding, isolator activity and testing results are maintained by this individual. Finally, s/he will share weekend emergency call coverage.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Capable of lifting at least 20 lbs
- Previous animal experience/mouse handling
- Proficiency with Excel spreadsheets
- Budgeting experience
- Experience with laboratory techniques: DNA isolation, qPCR, microbial plating, Gram stain
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10958
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20229 - SOM-MED-Rheumatology
Posting Date: Aug 31, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Carissa Figal
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00738517