Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Pulmonary
Professional Research Assistant (PRA)
Position # 728189 - Requisition # 10957
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
Nature of Work
- Translational research studying the effects of toxic inhaled chemicals, focusing on early drug development studies of potential rescue therapies in small and large animal models. We are seeking to add a full-time Professional Research Assistant, to assist in histopathological evaluation of complex drug efficacy studies in animals after varying inhaled toxic chemicals, and to aid in the investigation of the mechanisms involved in the acute and chronic lung and other organ injuries.
- Pulmonary Medicine; Toxicology; Histopathology; Drug Development
- Perform tissue processing, fixation, embedding, sectioning, staining for standard microscopy, and image analysis
- Immunohistochemistry and immunofluorescence staining and image analysis
- Prepare solutions and reagents for all staining procedures
- Perform routine and non-routine maintenance involving histology equipment
- Data entry and analysis.
- Use of core microscopy (upright, bright field and fluorescence microscopes).
- Assist in general lab maintenance.
- Organize and maintaining laboratory and histology sample storage and databases.
- Operate complex inhalation exposure equipment.
- Perform assays, including but not limited to, ELISA, Western blot.
- Small animal handling (rodent), including handling, restraint, dosing, and necropsy and sample collection.
- Collaborate with researchers at other institutions.
- Duties will include travel to other institutions to conduct large-scale, specialized experiments several times per year.
- Duties may include co-authoring manuscripts and poster presentations at national conferences.
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $32,000 - $38,000 and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- BS in Biology or related scientific field
- Years of experience, minimum of one (1) years working in a histology lab (ASCP preferred, but not required)
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Excellent organizational skills
- Detail oriented
- Supportive and conscientious work ethic
- Ability to follow laboratory Standard Operating Protocols as requested
- Ability to multi-task
- Ability to work in a team environment effectively
- Travel required: The travel requirement is variable, but may be an average of 5 days per month, and this may also include weekends. Some months will be without travel.
- The nature of this research position will require flexibility of work hours, such that work may be required one weekend per month, as well as on occasional evenings, nights, and holidays, and sometimes over extended work hours.
- Statistical analysis software (Prism GraphPad) and Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) use.
- Cell culture techniques, including maintaining primary cell cultures.
- Molecular technologies, including PCR amplification, RNA and CDNA synthesis, RT PCR.
- Rodent handling, husbandry and restraint, as well as minor survival surgeries
- ELISA assay, spectrophotometric assays, and enzyme kinetics assays.
- Western Blot analysis, In-Situ Hybridization, and cytospin preparation and analysis.
(1) Export Controls: Given the nature and responsibilities of the position, only U.S. persons (any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C.1324b(a)(3)) will be considered for this position.
(2) Drug Testing: The selected candidate will be subject to a pre-employment drug screen. For this safety-sensitive position, the selected candidate may also be subject to reasonable suspicion and random drug screenings.
(3) Background Checks: The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students, and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled
Questions should be directed to Rhonda Garlick; rhonda.garlick @ucdenver.edu
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10957
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20952 - SOM-PEDS Pulmonary-GenOps
Posting Date: Aug 31, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Gaby Cheatham
Posting Contact Email: Gabriele.email@example.com
Position Number: 00728189