Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - College of Engineering
Professional Research Assistant
Nature of Work:
The Department of Bioengineering at UC Denver Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora is seeking nominations and applications for the position of Professional Research Assistant in Professor Richard Weir's biomechatronics lab. The successful candidate will assist a team of engineers and neuroscientists working on an NIH SPARC initiative technology grant to develop an optogenetic interface for the vagus nerve. The candidate will assist with fabrication and surgical implantation of the nerve cuffs, viral injection and neuroanatomical characterization of opsin expression in the vagal nerve in mice. Additionally, they will assist with experiments implementing the nerve cuffs in freely behaving mice.
This is a full time (40 hours per week) position for up to 1 year.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- BA/BS in biological sciences or physical sciences (e.g. neuroscience, bioengineering, biology, etc.).
- Experience and familiarity with anatomy of the central and peripheral nervous system
- Experience with animal anesthesia and surgeries for implanting devices
- Familiarity with histology
- Familiarity with optogenetics
- Excellent communications skills.
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently and in groups.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10935
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Denver
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 30214 - ENGR-Bioengineering
Posting Date: Aug 31, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Emily Gibson
Posting Contact Email: Emily.Gibson@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00704280