Assistant Director of Scholarships
The Office of Financial Aid at the University of Colorado Boulder has an opening for an Assistant Director of Scholarship Services. This position reports to the Associate Director of Financial Aid and is responsible for overall administration of approximately $20 million in scholarship funds as well as for development of protocols, policies and best practices for awarding and management of scholarships, including NCAA Division I Athletic Scholarships. This position collaborates with the university's advancement department to assist in stewarding current and prospective donors; as well as external scholarship donors, university academic and administrative departments, state agencies, and students and parents. Responsibilities include awarding; fund management and gift stewardship; compliance; program planning/implementation; policy development; staff supervision and mentorship; and coordination, development and maintenance of the scholarship application system that serves institution-wide scholarship awarding. This position serves as a member of the management team with the Office of Financial Aid.
Who we are:
The Office of Financial Aid at CU-Boulder includes Scholarship Services and Student Employment. Approximately 15,000 undergraduate students received over $255M in federal, state, and university aid in 2014-15. Of that total, almost $100M was in the form of grants, scholarships and work-study.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Responsible for the administration and coordination of CU Boulder OFA scholarship programs. including compliance with federal, state, institutional, NCAA, and donor rules and regulations.
- Responsible for developing scholarship packaging policy recommendations.
- Responsible for the campus' scholarship management software.
- Share and discuss best practices for awarding aid with a collection of school/college level scholarship managers.
- Provide statistical reports and analysis regarding scholarship recipients and individual scholarship programs.
- Develop and implement new programs, policies and systems to improve and enhance scholarship opportunities for students and to streamline administration in the area.
- Responsible for scholarship fund management including budget oversight, disbursement, compliance and reconciliation of funds.
- Responsible for establishing annual strategic goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with Advancement, university departments and external scholarship donors, to ensure administration of scholarships is in compliance with donor agreements and university policy.
- Serve as liaison to departments, colleges, student special interest groups, and the Bursars Office, and serve as a liaison and primary contact to specific scholarship programs.
- Represent the University in external fund raising, public relations, and recruitment efforts.
- Provide general counseling and advising services to students and families regarding scholarships, financial aid opportunities and educational expenses. Assist with the associated application processes.
This position is supervised by the Associate Director of Financial Aid and will have up to three direct reports and oversees the work of three indirect reports and 4-6 student assistants.
What you should know:
Condition of Employment: Final candidate must successfully pass a background check and cannot be in default on a student loan either upon hire or while employed in this position.
What we can offer:
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be supportive. Be engaged. Be effective. Be Boulder.
What we require:
- A BA/BS from an accredited 4 year institution of higher education is required.
- A minimum of 4 years of progressively responsible experience in financial aid that includes at least two years of scholarship administration in a higher education setting.
- Involvement with stewardship activities of current and prospective donors.
- At least three years of supervisory experience with the ability to supervise a diverse staff by defining goals and strategic objectives, planning and prioritizing, meeting deadlines, and providing essential feedback and mentorship.
- At least one year of experience monitoring and managing large fund accounts ensuring accurate budgeting, expenditures, reconciliation and reporting by established deadlines.
What you will need:
- Strong computer skills including software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other presentation software), web-based applications, and networking tools.
What we'd like you to have:
- Master's degree from an accredited institution of higher education.
- At least 6 years of progressively responsible experience in financial aid including at least four years of scholarship administration in higher education, of which at least three years were in a leadership capacity.
- At least four years of supervisory experience with the ability to supervise a diverse staff.
- Experience serving students from underrepresented and multicultural backgrounds.
- Thorough knowledge of State of Colorado financial aid regulations.
- Experience with NSLDS, FAA Access, PeopleSoft Campus Solutions, and Academic Works.
- Bilingual candidates are preferred.
Preferred qualifications may be used to further reduce the pool of applicants to those who are most highly qualified.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Please apply by October 8, 2017.
If you have technical difficulties submitting application information, please contact the CU Careers help desk at email@example.com. All other job related inquiries should be directed to the posting contact for this posting.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:To apply, please submit the following materials to this posting at www.cu.edu/cu-careers:
1. A current resume.
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications.
Please combine materials into one document and upload as titled: Last-First-10931.
Please do not upload references at this time.
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Boulder
Department: B0001 -- Boulder Campus - 10046 - Financial Aid
Posting Date: Aug 30, 2017
Closing Date: Oct 8, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human Resources
Posting Contact Email: HRESmail@colorado.edu
Position Number: 00150450