ACCOUNTANT - SENIOR
JOB NO.: 91805-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Categories: Accounting, Finance, Purchasing
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 91805-AS
Working Title: Accountant - Senior
Official Title: SR ACCOUNTANT(R10BN)
Hiring Department: A536700-MEDICAL SCHOOL/PEDIATRICS/PEDIATRICS
Anticipated Begin Date: OCTOBER 03, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $65,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
Bachelor's degree in accounting, or business strongly preferred. Master's degree in Accounting/Business or CPA preferred.
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
-Minimum of five years experience working in an accounting financial system and knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) is required.
-Five years of experience with physician compensation plans and budgeting related to clinical, research and teaching endeavors preferred.
-Previous experience in an academic medical center is highly desirable.
1. Comprehensive knowledge and application of professional accounting and auditing theories and principles (GAAP, GAAS and FASB).
2. Knowledge of the University of Wisconsin Shared Financial System, especially ability to access information contained in the data mart through use of WISDM.
3. Experience managing financial operations using a computerized accounting/budgeting software platform.
4. Experience in development and understanding of the components and structure of automated accounting and financial management systems.
5. Well-developed analytical and organizational skills.
6. Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills.
7. Knowledge and experience in developing accounting policies and procedures.
8. Knowledge and experience in the auditing and reconciliation of financial accounts and cash flow operations.
9. Knowledge and experience in developing functional requirement documents and/or system design documents.
10. Advanced analytical, evaluative, and objective critical thinking skills including the ability to effectively summarize and present information.
11. Exceptional organizational skills with the ability to plan, delegate, establish priorities, independently manage multiple projects and assignments, and meet time critical deadlines.
12. Strong attention to details, customer service, presentation and group facilitation skills.
13. Proficiency using Microsoft Office programs and Oracle/Infoview query/reporting tools. Significant experience with Excel, especially pivot tables, preferred.
14. Ability to work effectively with a wide variety of constituents.
Under the general supervision of the UW Department of Pediatrics Assistant Director Business Services, this position serves as a senior accountant for the Department of Pediatrics (PEDS). This position will receive direction and oversight by the Department of Pediatrics.
PEDS currently has 145 faculty physicians and 200 staff that operate from multiple locations. PEDS has an annual operating budget of approximately $65M and includes more than 300 University accounts. Departmental revenues are generated from a variety of sources including University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation (UWMF) clinical income, extramural research, direct support from the UW School of Medicine and Public Health (UWSMPH) and the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics (UWHC) and St. Mary's and Meriter Hospitals, revenue producing accounts, education accounts, graduate school accounts, contributions to UW The operations of the departments are complex due to the interrelated activities with the UWSMPH, UWMF, and UWHC.
The Accountant - Senior position provides leadership in the areas of general ledger structure, transaction processing and advises in policy development to ensure that financial transactions are recorded in an efficient and accurate manner that provides consistency and integrity for management and financial reporting. Due to the highly complex nature and variety of automated systems, this position serves as a lead accountant to provide direction, policy advice, technical assistance, and financial expertise to management, faculty, staff, and external partners.
The position functions with a great degree of independence in performing the duties and responsibilities and is required to have excellent interpersonal skills as well as an understanding of the structure, policies, procedures and automated financial
management systems of both the UW and UWMF. The candidate is expected to model a high degree of professionalism, which includes demonstrating honesty, integrity, accountability and a commitment to altruism in all work interactions and responsibilities.
The School of Medicine and Public Health has a deep and profound commitment to diversity both as an end in itself but, also as a valuable means for eliminating health disparities. As such, we strongly encourage applications from candidates who foster and promote the values of diversity and inclusion.
Relay Access (WTRS): 7-1-1 (out-of-state: TTY: 800.947.3529, STS: 800.833.7637) and above Phone number (See RELAY_SERVICE for further information. )
Instructions to applicants:
To begin the application process, please click on the "Apply Now" button. You will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter within the application process.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Aug 31 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: Sep 28 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time