Worcester Polytechnic Institute
Department: INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
Position Status: Administrative Exempt Positions
Join our team as a Data Architect to serve as a thought leader and technical guru in the strategic Data Architecture program at WPI. The Data Architect requires a 360 degree understanding of Data Architecture concepts, process, technologies, governance and best practices. Equally important is someone who has a strong business acumen that can translate business processes into a technical solution that will serve our needs now and in the future.
Reporting to the Manager of Data Architecture, you will be responsible for overall design of enterprise data, developing conceptual, logical, physical data models and assist with development and enforcement of standards and best practices for enterprise Data Architecture. This successful candidate is fully proficient in working in all phases of database design and modeling in alignment with the vision of modern data architecture and data processing/integration.
Be a part of this exciting opportunity to collaborate with Institutional Research, Information Technology staff, division Information Analysts, and business unit stakeholders to manage data governance, repositories, and integration in order to meet campus and division goals.
WPI has a lot to offer such as extraordinary students, world-renowned faculty members at the top of their fields, state-of-the-art research facilities, and a diverse community teeming with activity. At WPI, we have a competitive and comprehensive benefits ranging from health insurance, long-term care, retirement, tuition assistance, flexible spending accounts, work-life balance and much more.
If you want a new challenge and want to make a difference, then WPI can help you get there!
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• In conjunction with the Manager of Data Architecture and other decision-makers, participate in discussion about data needed for integration, data warehousing and creating standards, and related policies and governance
• Assist with building robust data driven solutions, ranging from reports to building modern data management architecture, and research new opportunities for data acquisition
• Define how data will be stored, consumed, integrated and managed by different data entities and IT systems, as well as any applications using or processing that data
• Develop data flow diagrams, logical and physical data models; applying optimum access techniques; documentations
• Integrate technical functionality (e.g. scalability, security, performance, data recovery, reliability, etc.) and implement measures to ensure data accuracy and accessibility
• Blend enterprise data from new systems to existing warehouse structures
• Maintain a corporate repository of all data architecture artifacts and procedures
• Perform other duties as assigned
• Experience with data modeling, data profiling, data quality, data integration using cloud integration/ETL tools and technologies
• Experience with Master Data Management (MDM), Enterprise integration hub, Data warehousing and Analytics
• Knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP), CRM on the cloud and related architecture
• Knowledge of modern data management including Data Lake, Infrastructure as a service (IaaS), Integration platform as service (iPaaS), Hybrid integration platform (HIP) integrating both on premise and cloud information systems
• Ability to comprehend business functionality and translate to technical requirement
• Ability to recommend and implement solutions in accordance with industry best practices
• Excellent time management, organization, and planning skills
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Manage multiple assigned tasks/projects with minimal supervision
• Outstanding verbal and written communication skills, ability to work with diverse teams across all levels
• Higher education experience preferred but not required
Posting Date: 08/30/2017
Open Until Filled: Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
WPI is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran status, or disability. We are seeking individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences who will contribute to a culture of creativity and collaboration, inclusion, problem solving and change making.
Criminal Background Check Statement:
A pre-employment criminal records check is required.
To apply, visit: https://careers.wpi.edu/postings/4941