Career Services Associate
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
At the Trechtenberg School of Public Policy and Public Administration (TSPPPA) the Career Services Associate engages with students/alumni and shares the knowledge, the resources and the abilities to meet the high caliber professional development needs of our community. The incumbent will learn about our employers and alumni for networking/professional opportunities; design and lead workshops; staff employer events, build relationships with employers; and provide critical career center operational support. This position reports to the Director of Career Development and Alumni Services.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Offer individual career coaching to advance the career development for TSPPPA masters and doctoral students, and alumni at all stages of their career.
- Provide career exploration guidance including assessing strengths, values, competencies and goals, offering highly individualized support in targeted job searches, network building and personal branding, reviewing resumes, cover letters and LinkedIn profiles and conducting interview preparation/salary negotiation.
- Assist with planning and execution of career events including employer briefings, alumni panels and industry programs.
- Assist in delivering career development programs/workshops in person and online.
- Assist with other career services related duties such an updating career guides/resources, managing alumni contacts and maintaining website content.
- Perform additional administrative responsibilities including database management, event/blog updates and alumni surveys.
- Provide assistance in building relationships with employers to develop internship and full-time opportunities with students.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 3 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience, ideally in career services, recruitment, employer relations or human resources; preferable to also have public service experience (nonprofit, government, international development, public sector consulting, etc).
- Preference for candidates with career certifications (resumes, coaching, LinkedIn, etc.) or significant experience with resumes, cover letters and LinkedIn profiles.
- Demonstrated evidence of cultural competence, including working with international students. Knowledge of working with individuals of all backgrounds and experiences and respectful of diverse perspectives.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills with the ability to convey understanding of material and subject matter.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint), specifically word processing, spreadsheets, presentation and database software, internet applications and social media.
- Willingness for schedule flexibility based on student/career service's needs.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Family Student Affairs Sub-Family Career Services Stream Service and Support Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Part-Time Hours Per Week: 20 Work Schedule: Mon-Fri, 8:30 AM - 5:30 PM, specific work schedule will vary during hours of operation Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006621 Job Open Date: 08/30/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter