External Admissions Advisor
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan’s eastern shore is seeking a full-time External Admissions Advisor.
The full-time External Admissions Advisor will help in the recruitment of traditional and non-traditional students for Southwestern Michigan College. The External Admissions Advisor will report directly to the Director of Admissions and is responsible for but not limited to the following:
• Coordinates visits to surrounding high schools and provides information on the various academic programs, Early College opportunities, and aid that is available to all prospective students.
• Identifies, recruits and advises new students through the admissions process, with an eye towards maximizing the number who will then enroll in classes.
• Meets or exceeds target goals for recruitment at assigned schools.
• Represents the College at all times in a professional and enthusiastic manner, promoting our benefits without speaking negatively of other institutions.
• Develops and maintains close working relationships with local area high school counselors, faculty, and staff – making them aware of the various programs and financial aid options that are available.
• Commits to remaining engaged and current on emerging trends and possible new opportunities for student recruitment, including observation of any activities by competing colleges.
• Coordinates and attends College Nights at local area high schools and providing information to all interested students, which may require weekend or evening work.
• Organizes and serves as lead ambassador for campus visits and tours, with the direct responsibility of providing a delightful, informative and memorable experience for all guests.
• Serves as helpful initial contact for all prospective students that arrive, with an appointment or as an unexpected drop-in, at either the Dowagiac or Niles campus for a tour.
• Maintains accurate, honest records of advising activities over time, providing the College metrics vital to its ongoing success.
• In a spirit of team co-operation, serves as backup to other Advisors that may be unavoidably detained or engaged with a prospective student family.
• Performs other duties as assigned by the President, the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, or the Vice President of Marketing and Enrollment Management.
• Associate degree from an accredited college or university.
• Bachelor’s degree in subject from an accredited college or university
• Sales background and/or familiarity with higher education selection process.
• Proper telephone etiquette.
• Organizing and maintaining files.
• Higher education admission process.
• Self-motivator who is eager to achieve.
• The ideal candidate must be enthusiastic, flexible and a team player.
• Strong interpersonal, verbal, and communication skills with a variety of ages and backgrounds (students, parents or guardians, co-workers).
• Ability to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends.
• Dexterity of hands to operate a computer keyboard as well as seeing to read and review materials for accuracy.
• Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
• Ability to walk and converse for an hour or more in varying weather conditions while conducting campus tours.
Posting Number 20110605
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have an Associate's Degree or higher?
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts
- Optional Documents