LEAD DEVELOPER/SOFTWARE ENGINEER
JOB NO.: 91845-AS
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: ENGR-GREAT LAKES BIOENERGY CTR
Categories: Computer Science, Information Systems/Technology
Employment Class: Academic Staff-Renewable
Position Vacancy ID: 91845-AS
Working Title: Lead Developer/Software Engineer
Official Title: SR PROGRAMMER ANALYST(T06BN) or PROGRAMMER ANALYST(T06DN)
Hiring Department: A199920-COLLEGE OF ENGINEERING/ENGR-GREAT LAKES BIOENERGY CTR
Anticipated Begin Date: OCTOBER 02, 2017
Term: This is a renewable appointment.
Minimum $80,000 ANNUAL (12 months)
Depending on Qualifications
Degree and Area of Specialization:
B.S. in Computer Science or related field preferred
Minimum number of years and type of relevant work experience:
- Minimum 5 years experience designing and building data-driven web applications, preferably with Ruby on Rails or similar MVC framework
- Knowledge of object oriented programming techniques
- Database design and knowledge of SQL
- Experience architecting technical solutions to business and research problems. Ability to document an unknown process and build tools to support said process
- Experience developing, and coaching others, in a team environment using git-based version control and agile software development lifecycle methodologies
- Basic project and task management experience inside of development teams. Ability to handle multiple tasks and assignments in parallel and adapt quickly to changing priorities
- Ability to apply logical thinking to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw conclusions
- Experience with code reviews, process-driven development methodologies and automated testing (RSpec, Junit, Cucumber, etc.)
- Experience working in a virtual and devops environments utilizing virtual machines, containers, and continuous integration/deployment tools preferred
- Experience working with Linux and the command line
- Knowledge of biology and/or statistics a plus
The Great Lakes Bioenergy Research Center (GLBRC) is a Department of Energy center established to conduct fundamental research on microbial and plant systems to create biofuels. The GLBRC is housed at the University of Wisconsin, Madison with collaborators at several national labs and other universities.
As a member of the IIT team supporting research teams of faculty, staff, post docs, and graduate students, the Lead Developer/Software Engineer will build and implement systems and applications to support the research and operational objectives of the GLBRC. The position requires a highly motivated team player who will help architect custom web-based applications and databases for use by GLBRC researchers and operations staff.
Instructions to applicants:
To apply for this position, the following materials are required:
-- Cover letter describing interest in position and alignment with career goals.
-- Curriculum vitae / Resume
-- Names and contact information for three references
The full application (cover letter, CV/resume, and references) should be uploaded as a single PDF file by the assured consideration date.
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Period of Evaluation will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: Aug 30 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: Sep 27 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time