Maintenance Worker IV
With little or no supervision from the foreman, this position performs repairs and maintenance at a semi-skilled level in multiple trade areas.
- Performs work in at least three or more trade areas such as, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, carpentry and painting.
- Installs and /or replaces the following: ceiling tile, suspended ceilings, floor tile, ceramic tile, steel studs, sheetrock, plastic laminate, screens, drapery rods, door hardware, brick work, concrete, painting and patching, shelving, pumps, motors, filters, electrical switches, receptacles and ballasts.
- Operates power equipment that includes power saws, sanders, drill presses and other equipment as required.
- When requested, reports for emergency snow removal, times can vary but tend to early AM. Removes snow from walks, steps, ramps, and parking lots by power equipment or shovel.
- May be required to direct lower classifications, permanent and temporary assigned personnel.
- Assists other trades that require a specific license or certification.
- Read blueprints and works from sketches, layouts or penciled drawings.
- Drives to sites with tools and equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works: near moving mechanical parts, in outside weather conditions where they are exposed to wet, humid, and hot and cold conditions, around electricity, with chemicals and around fumes or airborne particles. Occasionally while performing the duties of this job, the employee works: in high places from extension ladders and scaffolding and in confined spaces. The noise level in the work environment ranges from low to high, but is usually moderate.
Moderate to strenuous physical effort is required. This position requires extended periods of standing, walking, using hands to handle, hold and control tools and objects, reaching with arms, stooping, kneeling or crawling. This job also requires pushing, pulling, lifting and carrying of objects of up to 100 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Needs to identify and distinguish color.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as material safety data sheets, operating manuals, and work orders. Ability to communicate effectively with Physical Plant customers (students, staff, faculty and visitors).
- Mathematical Skills: Basic math skills required when measuring, and performing take offs for miscellaneous jobs.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral and diagrams or schedule form. Ability to assess quickly a variety of data in emergencies in order to develop effective solutions.
- Other Skills and Abilities: Must be knowledgeable of related OSHA and EPA regulations. Proficient in the use of computers and software applications. Reads blueprints and works from sketches, layouts or penciled drawings. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as weights and measure areas and board feet.
- High School diploma or GED.
- 7 years of work experience in three out of the five following trades: carpentry, plumbing, painting, HVAC and electrical trades.
- Valid Colorado Driver's License and be insurable under University guidelines.
- Ability to pass a pre-placement physical.
Tuesday - Saturday, 9:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
For best consideration, please submit your application materials by Tuesday, September 5, 2017.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check, Motor Vehicle Report (MVR) and Pre-Placement Physical.