Food Service Worker III - Academic Year Only
Food Service Worker III - Academic Year Only
Job Number: 76148
ABOUT STANFORD UNIVERSITY AND RESIDENTIAL & DINING ENTERPRISES: Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 300,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 735 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology and Communications.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE,“Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.” ABOUT STANFORD DINING: R&DE Stanford Dining, a division of Residential & Dining Enterprises, serves over 12,000 meals per day. Its operations include11 undergraduate dining halls, two late-night dining operations,Schwab Executive Dining, an athletic training table program, the Teaching Kitchen @ Stanford, Community BeWell Gardens, and summer conference dining. As the dining department of the world's premier research and teaching institution, R&DE Stanford Dining promotes food as a multidisciplinary educational experience and engages students in food issues such as those related to health, the environment, social equity and the global economy. R&DE Stanford Dining has been recognized for its culinary excellence by awards such as the prestigious industry Ivy Award by Restaurants and Institutions for its environmental leadership role, by numerous awards such as the Acterra Award for Sustainability, and most recently was named Most Vegan-Friendly College by peta2 for its vegan and vegetarian offerings, and certified as a Responsible Epicurean and Agricultural Leadership (REAL) restaurant by the United States Healthful Food Council for its use of nutrition and sustainability best practices. For more information, please visitwww.dining.stanford.edu. I. Summary of Position:
Cooks prepare all foods, and in doing so, make decisions regarding the quality of produce, portioning of ingredients, seasoning and attractiveness of the final product. In addition to the preparation of specific menu items, Cooks (working from standardized recipes and daily production sheets provided by management) order supplies from the storerooms, pre-pare menu items for following meals and store leftover food. They may substitute menu selections within guidelines established by management. II. Essential Job Functions:
- Welcome and connect with every customer to provide excellent customer service.
- Prepares an extensive variety of hot or cold meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking on a grill, oven, or in a variety of kitchen equipment. Cold food items include salads, salad dressings, cold plates, sandwiches, hors d'oeuvres.
- Test food items for proper texture, temperature, doneness, and flavor.
- Prepare hot and cold food for meals according to recipes and directions.
- Responsible for preparing, cooking, plating and serving of hot and cold starters and appetizers.
- Assist in determining amounts to be prepared, including starting amounts and batch sizes.
- Washes, peels, chops, slices, dices and mixes vegetables and fruits and other ingredients for salads, cold plates and garnishes.
- Carves and slices cold meats, cheese and prepares seafood. Prepares composite salads.
- Read recipes and follow instructions to make sure food is prepared with excellent quality, correctly and on-time.
- Check food supplies needed to ensure availability. Order supplies from storeroom when needed.
- Prep for the following day. Ensure food is prepared, labeled and ready for use.
- Complete production records at meal time. Report production counts in production sheet.
- Assists in food prep during off-peak periods.
- Record last minute menu changes.
- Order supplies from storeroom and prepare menu items
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area.
- Washes and cleans all utensils, preparation equipment, counters required for production in the pantry area.
- Ensures that sanitation and food handling safety standards are followed and maintained.
- Adhere to Uniform guidelines and personal hygiene standards.
- Communicate clearly with management and other personnel. Bring issues to their attention if needed for resolution. Ensure accurate information is provided to a management.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Complete other duties as assigned within classification. Follow established guidelines for personal hygiene and personal attire. Comply with required food safety, sanitation and health standards.
The anticipated shift is based on the operational needs and can change at any time with notice.
Monday - Friday: 9:00am- 5:30pm III. Qualifications
Must have the ability to understand and communicate in English with adequate proficiency to follow directions from supervisor, read and understand safety guidelines and directions to prevent accidents or injuries from occurring, and communicate effectively with customers (staff, visitors, students) by listening and speaking clearly to them.
V. Physical Requirements: Ability to stand for prolonged periods, reach, lift, bend, kneel, stoop, climb, push and pull items. Physical agility critical to perform essential job functions. Lift up to 25 lbs pounds must have manual dexterity. Ability to work around hot equipment (stoves, grills, ovens).
Working Conditions and Frequency of Occurrence:
- Extreme Temperature Changes (10%-30%)
- Walking (30%-60%)
- Standing (50%-80%)
- Sitting (10%-20%)
- Bending (10%-50%)
- Squatting (10%-20%)
- Hand and Finger Dexterity (10%-40%)
- Reaching (10%-50%)
- Climbing (10%-20%)
- Noise (90%-100%)
- Lifting, Carrying, Pushing, Pulling
- Up to 10 Pounds (30%-60%)
- Up to 25 Pounds (20%-50%)
- Up to 50 Pounds (10%-20%)
- Over 50 Pounds (5%-10%)
Job: Food Services
Location: Residential & Dining Enterprises
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and apply on line at the following link: stanfordcareers.stanford.edu
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.